Score: Emerson 95, Emmanuel (Mass.) 81
Records: Emerson Lions (5-1) ; Emmanuel (Mass.) Saints (1-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Andy Yosinoff Court)
Date: Thursday, November 30, 2017
The Lead: Winners of three consecutive games, the Emerson men's basketball team added another win to the win column in a 95-81 victory over the Emmanuel (Mass.) Saints with the help of a new career high 31 points from junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) on Thursday night in non conference men's basketball action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Finishing 7-for-14 on the floor, Gray also canned 5-of-9 beyond the arc and found success on the charity stripe (12-14) with a double double of 31 points and 11 boards as well as three assists and one steal.
- Four of starting five contributed double figures, including sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) both with 18 and senior John Geary (Duxbury, Mass.) adding 11 of his own.
- Sheng was also credited with a team-best five assists and had four steals.
- Emmett Riddick paced Emmanuel with 25 points and finished 7-for-14 on the hardwood and also pulled down a team-high seven boards and had six assists with two steals.
- Three more Saints racked up double digits including Joe Tamburro with 16 points, Colin Cordero adding 11 and Isaiah Ruffen joining in with 10.
- Cordero also recorded two steals, while Tamburro had a pair of steals and one block.
- Emerson outdid Emmanuel on the floor, shooting 52.5% (31-59) and drained 46.4% of its triples (13-28) and went 20-for-23 on the charity line (87.0%).
- Emmanuel finished with a 49.2 field goal percentage (32-65) and converted 4-of-17 behind the three point line (23.5%) and cashed in 76.5% of its free throws (13-17).
- The Lions topped the Saints on the glass (38-27) and assists (20-14) along with second chance points (15-6) with bench putting up 15 points to the Saints 11, while the visitors held the advantage in points off turnovers (20-13).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel grabbed the game's first lead of 10-5 following Riddick putting up both his free throw shots just 2:57 into the opening frame.
- Midway through the half, Emerson pieced together a vital 11-0 run, which was highlighted by five points from Gray, to propel the Lions to a significant 26-16 lead over Emmanuel.
- A trey from junior Mac Sashin (Martha's Vineyard, Mass.) with 5:37 on the clock gave the visitors its largest lead of 16 at 38-22.
- Emmanuel used the final five minutes of the frame to wither Emerson's advantage away to a slim five point deficit and put the score at 47-42 heading into halftime.
- The Lions defensive got roughed up in to start off the second frame and allowed the Saints to reclaim the 56-55 advantage with 14:13 still to play in the half.
- Both teams exchanged baskets to a 62-all knot before Gray cashed in a free throw at the 10:30 mark to start off a 12-0 spurt to push the Lions ahead for the remainder of the game.
- Emerson starts off a two game home stand on Saturday, December 2 with a non conference meeting with Amherst at 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel (Mass.) is also in action on Saturday afternoon as they begin a three game home stand with a 3:30 p.m. meeting with GNAC foe Mount Ida.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS