Score: Tufts 71, Emerson 67
Records: Emerson Lions (5-3) ; Tufts Jumbos (5-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2017
The Lead: Despite a double-double effort of 19 points and 14 boards from junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.), the Tufts Jumbos tallied 19 points through the final eight minutes of the second half and came from behind to top the Emerson men's basketball team, 71-67, in non conference men's basketball action on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray paced Emerson with 19 points and 14 boards, finishing 8-for-19 on the floor and 2-for-6 beyond the arc to go with three assists.
- Following Gray in double figure points was senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) with 13 points, five assists and one steal and sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) adding 10, while junior Mac Sashin (Martha's Vineyard, Mass.) had one block.
- Leading all scorers with 30 points was Vincent Pace, who canned 13-of-21 from the hardwood and 2-for-5 from behind the three point line.
- Eric Savage joined with 19 points and a team best two steals, while Everett Dayton pulled down an overall high 11 rebounds and had five assists.
- Justin Kouyoumdjian also had two steals and Patrick Racy blocked two shots.
- Emerson connected with 42.9% of its shots (27-63) with a 28.6% on the three point line (6-21) and canned 7-of-11 from the charity stripe (63.6%).
- Tufts converted 27-of-65 (41.5%) and put up 20.0% of its triples (4-20) and were 13-of-21 from the free throw line (61.9%).
- The Jumbos beat the Lions on the glass (43-37) as well as in the paint (36-26) and second chance points (15-6), while the Lions bench produced 15 points to the Jumbos 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tufts grabbed the game's first lead of four at 6-2 only to have it quickly erased as Emerson canned the next 10 of 14 points and gained its first lead at 12-10.
- The Lions built onto its 12-10 lead and used a 10-2 spurt to push its lead into double figures at 10 (22-12) after Sheng sank both shots from the free throw line with 11:18 in the first.
- After a jumper by O'Connor kept the Lions ahead at 12 (28-16) at 7:59, Kouyoumdjian canned a triple followed by a Racy jumper to knock the Jumbos into a single digit deficit of nine (28-21).
- A lay-up and triple from the hands of senior John Geary (Duxbury, Mass.) bumped Emerson back into a double digit advantage at 14 (35-21) at 4:03.
- The closest Tufts were able to come within the hosts was 11 on a trey from Eric Savage at 1:38 as Emerson distanced themselves at 16 (42-26) after Gray converted a three-point play after drawing the foul to wrap up the first frame.
- Tufts jumped out the gate and canned the second half's first seven points, five coming from the free throw line, to cut Emerson's lead down to nine (42-33) with 16:10 to play.
- The Jumbos continued to keep a steady distance as the Lions held the visitors to no more than five until the 9:43 mark of the frame after Max Oppenheim tipped in a shot with the score at 54-49.
- Emerson once again built its lead back to double digits at 13 (62-49) after senior Jared Jackson (Marco Island, Fl.) canned a shot from downtown at the 8:16 mark.
- Over the span of the next eight minutes, Tufts' offense withered away Emerson's double figure lead as the Jumbos put 19 points up and held Emerson to a mere five.
- Pace had his equalizing triple at the 1:43 mark fall through to knot the game at 67-all as the Jumbos jumped ahead at 69-67 and sealed the comeback win on a free throw by Everett Dayton.
- Emerson hits the road and heads off to Curry on Saturday, December 9 at 3:00 p.m.
- Tufts is back in action at UMass.-Boston tomorrow, Thursday, December 7 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS