Score: Lesley 64, Emerson 55
Records: Emerson Lions (6-4) ; Lesley Lynx (5-5)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Nicholas Athletic Center)
Date: Tuesday, December 12, 2017
The Lead: Despite a 12 point showing from sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) adding 11 of his own, the Emerson men's basketball team could not scrape up a win as the Lions were outlasted, 64-55, by the Lesley Lynx in non conference men's basketball play on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Leading the offense for Emerson was O'Connor, converted 33.3% of his shots (4-12) for 12 points ti go along with six rebounds and two steals.
- Gray canned 2-of-9 for 11 points and went a perfect 6-for-6 on the free throw line and added eight rebounds, two steals and two assists to his stat line.
- Joey Martin and Charlie Rezinkoff notched double figures for Lesley with Martin leading all scorers with a double-double of 15 points and 12 boards along with two assists and two steals.
- Rezinkoff came in close behind, adding 12 points with one assist, while Will Gibson was credited with eight assists.
- Emerson concluded the night shooting 30.2% from the floor (16-53), 21.7% on the perimeter (5-23) and canned 72.0% of its points from the free throw line (18-25).
- Lesley cashed in 22-of-58 (37.9%) on the floor with a three-point percentage of 25.9% (7-27) and had 52% of its free throws fall through (13-25).
- The Lynx beat the Lions on the glass (43-37) and in assists (17-6).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening half proved to be competitive as both teams traded off baskets before the Lions notched the 10-9 lead thanks to back-to-back jumpers from Gray and O'Connor.
- Lesley, however, answered with a deep three from Nathaniel Chambers to push the Lynx back in front (13-9).
- After O'Connor drained another three to bring the score to within one, Emerson reclaimed the 20-18 edge as junior Will Lantier (Centerport, N.Y.) stepped to the line and sank both his free throws.
- The score remained neck-and-neck through the remainder of the half until Golding capped off Lesley's first half with a shot from downtown to give the Lynx the 28-26 lead.
- Lesley carried its momentum from the first half into the second half and surged for an 9-0 spurt to start off the frame (34-26) that was capped off by Martin's three that banked off the glass.
- A jumper from sophomore Kent Ellertson (Sudbury, Mass.) and a triple by senior John Geary (Duxbury, Mass.) halted Lesley's offensive run and put Emerson within seven (38-31).
- Neither teams were able to register a basket on either end midway through the half with the score holding at 40-33.
- Senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) canned a triple that broke the scoreless run, but was quickly answered by baskets from Martin and Marquise Johnson, making the lead 45-35.
- With under nine minutes left in regulation, Emerson withered away a 10-point deficit all the way down to five (47-42) with a three by Sheng and a trey from sophomore Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.).
- Starting at the 4:28 mark, Emerson capitalized on two trips the foul line by Sheng and Gray as they drained a combined four points to inch the Lions to within one (52-51).
- One was the closest Emerson would come within Lesley as the Lynx held the Lions to just four points through the remainder of the half as the Lynx used the free throw line to seal the 64-55 win.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS