Overall: 6-5 (0-0 NEWMAC)
Scoreboard: Lesley 64, Emerson 55 | Cambridge, Mass. | December 12, 2017
Gordon 89, Emerson 62 | Wenham, Mass. | December 16, 2017
BOSTON - Starting the season off with an overall record of 6-5, the Emerson men's basketball team rolls into 2018 ready to embark into a schedule full of NEWMAC contests. On Wednesday night, Emerson begins its conference slate at home against Coast Guard at 7:00 p.m. Then on Saturday afternoon, the Lions will make its way to Worcester, Mass. to take on Clark in a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.
ON TO 2018
- Emerson closed out 2017 with a pair of losses back on December 12, 2017 against Lesley and at Gordon on December 16, 2017 to put its overall record at 6-5.
- Averaging 75.2 points per game through 11 contests, the Purple has drained 32.3% from beyond the arc along with collecting 40.4 boards a game and credited with 15.5 assists a game.
STACKING UP AGAINST THE COMPETITION
- During its 2016-2017 campaign, Emerson collected an overall record of 3-11 against NEWMAC teams.
- Four Lions have earned spots within the top 10 of six NEWMAC categories on both the offensive and defensive ends.
- Leading the pack is junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.), who ranks within the top five of five categories.
- The junior sits in second with 20.4 points per game, 224 total points, 90 rebounds and a free throw percentage of 85.7, while he comes in third with 8.2 boards a game.
- Sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) follows Gray in points per game, coming in at third with 16.0 and ranks sixth with 176 total points through 11 games.
- Senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) leads the NEWMAC with a 90.7 percentage at the charity line as junior Will Lantier (Centerport, N.Y.) averages .9 blocks per game and ranks tied for fourth.
LIONS WITHIN THE NEWS
- On December 20, 2017, O'Connor was featured in the weekly newspaper of his hometown of Newport, R.I. in an article that spotlighted locals contributing to collegiate programs.
- To read the full article on The Newport Daily News, click here.
BEN HOLDING NAMED LION OF THE WEEK
- Sophomore guard Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) represented the men's basketball team as he was named the final Lion of the Week to close out 2017.
- Within the Lions last trio of games to wrap up 2017, Holding converted 5-of-11 from the hardwood to feature a stat line of 11 points, seven rebounds, two assists and one steal.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
- Coast Guard will be the first NEWMAC contest of the 2017-2018 for Emerson as the Bears make their way into 2018 as winners of their last eight contests and an overall record of 8-1.
- The Bears collected its most recent win back on December 31, 2017 and topped Salve Regina, 67-52.
- Within ten games, Coast Guard average 85.0 points per game, converting 47.1% of its shots from the field, including 37.0% from the perimeter and 70.9% on the free throw line and bring down 43.4 rebounds per game with 14.6 assists.
- Anchoring the Bears offense is Patrick Witkowski, who currently cans 16.9 points per game as Justin Kane and Noah Baldez join in with 14.4 and 13.9, respectively.
- Kane leads on the glass with 9.8 rebounds per game and blocks .7 shots a game, while Baldez is credited with a team-best 2.8 assists a game.
- Jason Frazer paces the offense on the three-point line and converts 48.4% of his triples with Micah Baldez averaging 2.6 steals per game.
- Emerson and Coast Guard split the season series in 2016-2017 with the Bears grabbing the first win on January 7, 2017 at 77-60 before the Lions picked up the 75-67 win on February 8, 2017.
SCOUTING THE COUGARS
- Clark currently holds an overall record of 3-8 through 11 contests as they wrapped 2017 with back-to-back losses against Salem State (12/29) and Endicott (12/30).
- The Cougars can an average of 79.5 points a game for a 42.7 field goal percentage, along with a 31.8 percentage on the three-point line and convert 72.4% of its shots from the charity stripe.
- They also pulled down 33.9 boards per game and are credited with 15.2 assists.
- Despite a record below .500, Clark holds a 3-1 record at the Kneller Athletic Center this season.
- Clark has four players who rack up double figures in points per game with Luca McCormick leading the way with 18.5, followed by Biko Gayman (15.3), Tyler Davern (13.4) and John Pisacreta (11.5).
- Gayman has also a stat line of a team-leading 4.2 assists per game and 2.7 steals a game, while McCormick collects an average of 7.7 rebounds and Adam Converse blocks .9 shots a game.
- Emerson and Clark split the season series during 2016-2017, with the Cougars snagging the 66-56 win at Emerson on January 11, 2017 as the Lions edged out the Cougars at Kneller, 65-62, on February 4, 2017.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS