Score: No. 11 MIT 83, Emerson 69
Records: Emerson Lions (8-6, 2-1 NEWMAC) ; No. 11 MIT Engineers (13-1, 3-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
Date: Wednesday. January 10, 2018
The Lead: Despite a double-digit effort from three of the five Lions starters, the Emerson men's basketball team was unable to collect a win and found themselves on the end of an 83-69 loss to the No. 11 MIT Engineers, on Wednesday night in NEWMAC men's basketball action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) powered out a 22-point, 11-rebound double-double with an additional three assists through 37 minutes on the floor.
- Sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) contributed 18 points and was followed by senior Michael Sheng's (Altadena, Calif.) 14 point, five assists effort.
- Hamilton Forsythe paced all scorers with 24 points off the bench for MIT, while AJ Jurko posted 17 points and an additional 15 points and eight assists from Bradley Jomard.
- Aidan Einloth also finished the night in double figures and canned 11 points.
- Emerson shot 48.2% from the field, hit 37.5% from the three-point line and finished a perfect 6-for-6 on the charity stripe.
- MIT shot an overall 47.5% from the hardwood and converted 50.0% of its triples (12-24).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson found themselves trailing from the get go and were in a 25-14 hole over the opening 11:45 behind five triples, including one from Einloth that capped off the run.
- The Lions were in a 15-point deficit in the opening half, but were able to cut the advantage down to 10 (35-25) with 2:35 on the clock before the half thanks to a three from senior Corey Fitz (Los Altos, Calif.)
- MIT knocked down a pair of three's within the final two minutes, along with four points from Gray, as the Engineers grabbed the 41-29 going into the break.
- A basket from Gray erased a lengthy MIT lead and put Emerson within seven, but the hosts pushed the score back up to 15 at 60-45 following an Einloth trey at 11:42.
- MIT maintained pressure on both ends of the floor throughout the remainder of the game to seal the 83-69 win over the Lions.
- Emerson returns to Brown & Plfoker on Saturday, January 13 and welcome Springfield in a 1:00 p.m. conference matchup.
- MIT hits the hardwood on Saturday as well and head off to Wheaton for a NEWMAC tilt at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS