Score: No. 12 MIT 77, Emerson 51
Records: Emerson Lions (9-10, 3-5 NEWMAC ) ; No. 12 MIT Engineers (17-2, 7-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 27, 2018
The Lead: The Lions saw junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) can 22 points as the Emerson men's basketball team were downed 72-51 by the No. 12 MIT Engineers at home in NEWMAC men's basketball action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray put up a stat line that consisted of 22 points on 8-of-13 and was a rebound shy of a double double with nine to go along with three assists and one steal.
- Senior John Geary (Duxbury, Mass.) finished the day with 10 points and went a perfect 3-for-3 from beyond the arc with an additional one rebound, two assists and one steal.
- Senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) led the Lions with four assists and a pair of steals, while senior Corey Fitz (Los Altos, Calif.) had an overall game best two blocks.
- Leading MIT was Bradley Jomard, who canned an overall game high 27 points on 9-of-17 to go along with eight boards and three assists.
- Following Jomard in double figures was Cameron Korb with 14 points, one block, five rebounds, one steal and one assist with AJ Jurko rounding out the top Engineers scorers with 11 points.
- Emerson finished the day shooting 41.3% (19-46) with a three-point percentage of 17.9% (5-28) and went 61.5% from the charity line (8-13).
- MIT went 24-of-54 (44.4%) to go along with a percentage of 21.1% on the three-point line (4-19) and were 73.5% shooting from the free throw stripe (23-45).
- The Engineers topped the Lions on the glass (39-27), while the Lions beat out the Engineers in assists (12-9).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson shot 33.3% from the floor to MIT's 42.9% as the visiting Engineers grabbed a commanding 18 point lead at 32-14 to wrap the opening half.
- The Engineers took control on both sides from the get go and ventured into double figures at 16:08 after Korb drained a three with the score at 13-3.
- Though held to a mere six points within the midst of the opening frame, Emerson remained within striking distance at eight after a trey by Fitz before closing in at nine two times.
- Nine was the closest Emerson would come to MIT through the remainder of the half as the visitors gained a lengthy 18 point advantage entering the half as they held the 32-14 lead.
- Once down by 21 points four minutes into the second half, Emerson caught rhythm and put up a 12-4 spurt consisting of seven points from Gray that allowed the Lions to wither MIT's lead down to 13 (45-32) at 12:09.
- After closing within 13, Emerson used four points from Gray capped off by a long range shot from Fitz at 6:28 as the Lions chipped the Engineers' advantage down to 10 (52-42).
- MIT bumped its lead back up to 20 with 1:04 on the clock after Jomard put in a pair from the free throw line and went on to seal the win.
- Emerson heads off to Norton, Mass. for a rematch against Wheaton (Mass.) on Wednesday, January 31 and is slated for a 6:00 p.m. start.
- MIT welcomes Babson in on Wednesday night as well in a NEWMAC slate set to begin at 8:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS