Overall: 9-12 (3-7 NEWMAC)
Scoreboard: Wheaton (Mass.) 77, Emerson 47 | Norton, Mass. | January 31, 2018
Springfield 86, Emerson 57 | Springfield, Mass. | February 3, 2018
BOSTON - The Emerson men's basketball team returns home after a tough road trip itching to get a W back in the win column as it enters the week with a pair of conference contests against Clark and WPI. The Lions welcome the visiting Clark Cougars into Brown & Plofker tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. before heading off to WPI on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson fell in both its road contests this week and saw its overall record slip to 9-12 with a NEWMAC record of 3-7.
- After starting the week off with a 77-47 setback at Wheaton (Mass.) last Wednesday night, the Lions dropped a 86-57 decision to the Springfield Pride in a game that saw junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) notch his ninth double-double of 17 points and 10 boards.
LIONS IN THE NEWMAC
- 21 games deep, Emerson averages 72.3 points per game with a 43.9% from the field to go along with a three-point percentage of 32.5% and are 71.8% at the free-throw line.
- The Lions pull down an average of 36.9 rebounds per game and credited with 15.4 assists.
- Gray, senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) and junior Will Lantier (Centerport, N.Y.) all represent Emerson and rank within the top-10 of their respective NEWMAC categories.
- Gray finds himself in the top-5 of six NEWMAC categories including second in points per game (19.5), total points (409) and rebounds (187), while sitting third in rebounds per game (8.9) and free throw percentage (83.3%) and is tied for fourth with Sheng in assists per game at 4.0.
- Sheng continues to dominate on the charity line with a NEWMAC leading 90.3% with Lantier maintaining his rim protector position and is tied for fourth in blocks per game (.9).
SCOUTING THE COUGARS
- Clark comes into Emerson on Wednesday night with an overall record of 3-18 and 0-10 versus NEWMAC teams and are coming off an 80-67 setback at Babson last Saturday.
- This will be the second meeting between the two teams with the first coming back on January 6 at Clark where Emerson edged out the Cougars, 97-93.
- The Cougars can 75.6 points per game and shoot 42.6% from the field to go along with a 33.2% three-point percentage and convert 70.7% at the free-throw line, as well as pulling down 32.5 rebounds and 14.2 assists per game.
- Clark has four players on its roster who average double figures with Luca McCormick anchoring the Cougars with 17.4 points and 6.5 rebounds.
- Biko Gayman follows with 15.4 points and a team-leading 4.6 assists and 2.0 steals, while Tyler Davern joins in with 10.8 and John Pisacretta wraps up the scoring leaders with 10.6.
- Adam Converse, who leads the team with a 51.9 field goal percentage, averages .7 blocks per game.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
- On Saturday afternoon, Emerson will head off to Worcester to meet the WPI Engineers for the second time this season after the first meeting between the teams ended in a heartbreaking 74-73 loss at Brown & Plofker on January 17.
- The Engineers currently hold a 13-8 overall record to match a 7-3 record against conference opponents and most recently topped Coast Guard, 79-70, back on February 3.
- WPI posts 77.9 points per game (48.1% FG) with a 40.3% behind the perimeter and convert 64.5% on the free-throw line to go along with 37.2 rebounds and 16.1 assists.
- Leading the Cougars on the stat sheet is Chris Rodgers, who anchors the team with 12.0 points per game, 3.7 assists and 1.1 steals.
- Reid Walker averages 6.4 rebounds per game, while Andreas Bitsos, Rodgers and Garrett Stephenson all average .4 blocks per game.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS