Score: Emerson 7, Lyndon State 4
Records: Emerson Lions (2-0) ; Lyndon State Hornets (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, March 3, 2018
The Lead: Junior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) registered three goals with one assist and freshman Stevie Powers (Arlington, Mass.) collected a pair of goals and an assist for the Lions as the Emerson men's lacrosse team locked its second consecutive win in a 7-4 triumph over Lyndon State in non-conference action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brush and Powers racked up a combined five of Emerson's seven goals with an assist each, while junior Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) and freshman Joe Meyers (Carmel, N.Y.) each tallied a goal.
- Radenberg paced Emerson with a trio of assists, while Meyers scooped up eight ground balls and freshman Austin Franklin caused two turnovers.
- Manning the net for Emerson was junior Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.), who came away with 12 saves on 28 shots and allowed four goals in the win through 60 minutes.
- Spencer Aubin paced Lyndon State with a pair of goals as the Hornets also saw goals from James Ceglia and Shea Jones.
- Jones also was credited with one assist and one caused turnover, while Aubin also picked up four ground balls.
- Lyndon State net minder Marcus Bessette recorded 19 stops on 55 total shots through 60 minutes between the pipes and allowed seven goals.
- Emerson held the 55-28 shot advantage over Lyndon State, as well as ground balls (51-31), caused seven turnovers, went 19-for-25 in clears and 0-for-1 when on the man-up advantage.
- Lyndon State finished the day going 17-for-30 on clears and were blanked when on the man-up advantage at 0-for-4.
- Winning 12-of-15 in the X for Emerson was sophomore Austin DiPietro, while Logan Parenti went 0-for-3 and Justin Servidori won 3-of-12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a first quarter that saw Emerson heavily outshoot Lyndon State 13-1, freshman Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif) set up Brush's deep into the first quarter (4:20) to give the hosts the 1-0 lead to wrap the first quarter.
- Ceglia put Lyndon State on the board on an unassisted net at 11:34 of the second quarter with the score now at 1-1, but Powers was able to tally the go-ahead goal at 10:37 as the Lions were back on top, 2-1.
- 27 seconds later, the Hornets answered with the equalizer from Aubin off a Lions' turnover in the Hornets' zone with the score squared again at 2-2 with 10:10 remaining in the half.
- Brush and Powers fired in their second markers of the game through the final 9:05 to push Emerson to a two-goal 4-2 advantage going into halftime.
- At the half, Emerson outshot Lyndon State, 33-10 with 15 shots on goal to the Hornets' seven.
- On the tail end of a man-down situation, a diving goal from Radenberg nearly two minutes into the third (13:06) counted as the lone goal of the frame with the score now 5-2 in Emerson's favor going into the fourth.
- With nine ticks left and down a man, Emerson saw its sixth goal of the game make its way past Bessette on Meyers' goal at 12:50 of the fourth to give the Lions the 6-2 advantage.
- Lyndon State got back into the scoring mix thanks to a goal from Jones 28 seconds after Emerson tacked one on the board, its first since 10:10 of the second quarter, to cut the Lions' lead in half at 6-3 at 12:22.
- At 5:47, the Hornets registered its second goal of the quarter on Aubin's second net of the game and inched the visitors within two at 6-4 before Brush's third net with 2:58 on the clock pushed the Lions' lead back to three at 7-4.
- Emerson heads off to Albertus Magnus at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, March 5.
- Lyndon State will also be in action on Monday at 4:00 p.m. at Becker.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS