Score: Suffolk 5, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1-1) ; Suffolk Rams (2-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017
The Lead: Despite goals from sophomores Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) and JW Clark (Fairfax, Va.), the Emerson men's soccer team dropped its first game of 2017 in a 5-2 setback to the Suffolk Rams in a non-conference contest on Wednesday night at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot by Suffolk, 18-15 as both teams were an even 5-5 on corner kicks.
- Faucette and Clark notched both goals for Emerson.
- Freshman keeper David Kemp (London, England) allowed five goals and came away with five saves on 18 shots through 90 minutes during the loss.
- Christian Restrepo recorded a hat trick on six shot attempts, while Simon Velez Angel and Felipe Ucros also tallied goals for Suffolk.
- James Fisher, Jordan Casey and Andy Young were all credited with one assist each.
- Kyle Van Cleef started the first 61:13 in the net for Suffolk and surrendered two goals with a pair of saves as Jon Brodeur completed the final 28:47 and held the Lions to zero goals with three saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the opening half in the books, Emerson and Suffolk were in a 1-1 lock.
- Nearly a half hour passed before Suffolk was able to break the scoreless tie in the 29th minute (28:35) and gave themselves a 1-0 cushion.
- From a giveaway in the back, Ucros curled a hard shot into the bottom left corner past Kemp.
- Emerson squared the game at 1-1 nearly a minute in a half after Suffolk made its way onto the board.
- Faucette recovered a turnover by Van Cleef and fired his second goal of the year into an empty net at the 30th minute mark (29:59).
- Suffolk sent up nine shots to Emerson's seven within the first half.
- It was in the 47th minute (46:37) where Suffolk pushed back on top, 2-1, after Restrepo rebounded a block shot from 10 yards out.
- On a failed clear, Clark deposited a deflection into the net to even the score at 2-2 within the 49th minute.
- Within the final 22 minutes, Suffolk added on three more goals to give them a 5-2 cushion over Emerson.
- The third Rams goal came off a blocked shot that fell in front of Restrepo (58th minute) before Angel dropped in the fourth net off a save deflection by Casey.
- Emerson had a chance to cut the score to one on a penalty kick, but junior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France) saw his shot fall right into the arms of Brodeur to keep the score at 4-2.
- Restrepo completed his hat trick on a crossed pass from the right wing by Young to put the Lions away, 5-2, in the 88th minute.
- Emerson sets out on its first road contest of the season at Salem State on Saturday, September 9 for a 1:00 p.m. game.
- Suffolks starts up GNAC (Great Northeast Athletic Conference) action on Saturday as well and return home to face Albertus Magnus at 4:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS