Score: Wheaton (Mass.) 6, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (4-9-2, 0-6 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons (6-8-2, 1-4-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Norton, Mass. (Keefe Field)
Date: Saturday, October 21, 2017
The Lead: Sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) put in the 1-1 equalizer within the 37th minute of the first half, but the Emerson men's soccer team surrendered five second half goals from the host Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons and fell 6-1 in NEWMAC men's soccer action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot, 22-11, by Wheaton as the Lyons also held the 5-1 corner kick edge.
- The Lyons committed 13 infractions and the Lions were on the end of seven infractions.
- Faucette netted Emerson's lone goal and had seven shots, including four shots on goal.
- Senior net minder Lucas Fischer (Atlanta, Ga.) allowed six goals to Wheaton and turned away five shots within 90 minutes between the pipes.
- Leading the way for Wheaton was Curran Wait and Amara Sesay, who each scored a pair of goals and Sesay adding a pair of assists.
- Louis Chavez contributed one goal with J.D. Souza, Dimitri Roumeliotis and Shawn McCall all credited for an assist.
- Wheaton keeper Erik Wisniewski held Emerson to one goal and came away with three saves through the first 72 minutes, while Patrick Byrnes wrapped up the final 18 minutes and made one save.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At the end of the opening half, the score read 1-all with Wheaton outshooting Emerson, 11-9.
- With the help Sesay, Wait connected for the game's first goal within the 25th minute (25:18) to put the hosts up 1-0.
- Wheaton carried a one goal lead over Emerson for the next 11 minutes until Faucette produced his team-leading eighth net of the season to even the score at the 37th minute mark (36:23).
- Faucette dribbled the ball down the center of the field and flicked the equalizer into the top of the net past Wisniewski.
- Wheaton tacked on five more goals within the second half to put the score at 6-1.
- The Lyons snapped the 1-all tie over a minute after the start of the second half after Sesay headed in Souza's pass past Fischer in the 46th minute.
- Off a header pass from Roumeliotis. in the 55th minute, Wait's second net of the game counted as an insurance goal as the Lyons went up a pair at 3-1.
- Within the 65th to 69th minute, Wheaton produced its final three goals to seal the win over Emerson, its first coming from Chavez and the final pair coming from the foot of Sesay.
- Emerson returns home on Monday, October 23 for its final two home contests and host Regis (Mass.) in a non-conference tilt at 6:00 p.m.
- Wheaton closes out the regular season at home on Saturday, October 28 and play host to No. 22 Springfield at 2:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson men's soccer team and follow the Lions on Facebook and Instagram, as well as Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions. Also, be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!