Score: No. 14 Wentworth 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (6-3, 0-1 GNAC) ; No. 14 Wentworth Leopards (11-4, 4-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson men's volleyball team were topped in straight sets by the visiting No. 14 Wentworth Leopards on Thursday night to open Greater North Atlantic Conference (GNAC) action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) paced Emerson with eight kills, while freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.) tallied 10 helpers.
- Senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.) served a pair of aces, junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) recorded a match-high 10 digs and senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.) had one block.
- Garrett Vermeulen led Wentworth with seven swings and Augusto Rodriguez-Guerrios had an overall match best 17 assists.
- Collin Ritter served a pair for the Leopards, while Peter Klembcyzk scooped up nine digs and five Leopards had one block apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Wentworth 25, Emerson 13)
- The opening set was evenly keeled through the beginning half of the set with Emerson keeping within a one point margin of Wentworth at 8-7.
- Wentworth was able to extend its lead to four after several Lions attack errors (11-7) and embarked on a 6-2 spurt that was capped on an ace from Kevin McPeek, putting their advantage up to seven at 17-10.
- After a kill from Ollie Oshman, Emerson found themselves down double figures at 10 (21-11) after Wentworth put up the next four consecutive points.
- Emerson tallied two more points within the set on kills from Kittivatcharapong and Regan as Wentworth took the first 25-13 on a swing from Kevin Devine.
SET TWO (Wentworth 25, Emerson 14)
- Emerson gained its first and only lead after tallying the set's first point on a kill by Rusk before Wentworth began to balloon its lead over the Lions.
- A swing from Kittivatcharapong brought the Lions within one with the Leopards answering with the set's next seven points and propelled ahead by eight (10-2).
- The Lions remained in a double-digit deficit through the middle portion of the frame and were only able to close within 10 with a Lions service error handing the Leopards the 25-14 win.
SET THREE (Wentworth 25, Emerson 20)
- With the score differential staying within one to begin the third stanza, an ace from sophomore Diego Garcia (Honolulu, Hi.) pushed Emerson to an 6-4 edge over Wentworth.
- Wentworth answered with a 6-0 spurt of their own, capped off by a Lions setting mishap, that allowed the Leopards to push its lead up to four at 10-6.
- Down 14-8 after another 3-0 run by the visitors, Emerson followed up with a 3-0 run of their own to inch within a trio (14-11) after back-to-back swings from Kittivatcharapong.
- The Leopards pushed its advantage back up to six after the hosts committed a pair of attack errors (17-11).
- Emerson battled back after trailing 21-15 and tacked on four of the next five points to cut the Leopards' lead down to a pair at 22-20, but the visitors put the final three points on the board to take the final set, 25-20.
- Emerson heads to Dean on Saturday, February 24 for a non-conference rematch against Dean at 12:00 p.m.
- Wentworth continues GNAC play on Saturday afternoon at home and will face Regis (Mass.) at 12:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS