Overall: 7-3 (0-1 GNAC)
Scoreboard: No. 14 Wentworth 3, Emerson 0 | Boston, Mass. | February 22, 2018
Emerson 3, Dean 0 | Franklin, Mass. | February 24, 2018
BOSTON - The Emerson men's volleyball team dives into its GNAC schedule to wrap up February after a week that saw the Lions open conference play against No. 14 Wentworth last Thursday. Starting on Tuesday night, Emerson heads off to Mount Ida for a 6:00 p.m. conference tilt. Then on Thursday, the Lions return to its home hardwood to meet the Pride of Regis (Mass.) at 6:00 p.m.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
- Emerson took a 1-1 split through two matches last week and stepped into GNAC action last Thursday evening against the No. 14 Wentworth Leopards before a non-conference tilt at Dean on Saturday.
- The Lions were downed in straight sets by the Leopards, but rebounded in Saturday's rematch at Dean and topped the Bulldogs in three sets.
- Senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.) and junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) powered the Lions in its 3-0 win over Dean as they each registered nine digs apiece and Rusk also serving up four aces at the line.
EMERSON IN THE GNAC
- Sitting in the top-10 of their respective offensive and defensive categories are seven members on the Lions roster after 10 matches.
- The list consists of Rusk, Piorkowski, junior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand), senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.), sophomore Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.), freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.) and sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.).
- Piorkowski, Rusk, Kittivatcharapong and D'Aguiar lead the Lions with two top-10 spots apiece.
- Rusk sits in seventh in hit percentage (.251) and second in service aces (.77) and Kittivatcharapong takes the eighth spot in both kills per set (2.56) and hit percentage (.248), while Piorkowski comes in fifth with 2.75 kills per set and third in service aces per set (.56) and D'Aguiar leads the Lions in digs with a NEWMAC leading 3.47 digs per set and ninth in total digs (104).
- Rounding out the Lions stat leaders are Regan, who takes the sixth slot in blocks per set with .77, Cepeda with 6.66 assists per set (6th) and Raagas, who moves into the top-10 in service aces per set with .31 (10th).
SCOUTING THE PRIDE
- Regis (Mass.) enters its inaugural year as a member of the GNAC and currently posts an overall record of 4-6 with a 1-1 conference record.
- Most recently, the Pride took a tri-match split last Saturday with a 3-0 loss to No. 14 Wentworth and a straight set sweep over Mount Ida.
- Through 10 matches, Regis (Mass.) averages 10.09 kills per set and a .158 hit percentage to go along with 9.15 assists, 1.17 blocks, 1.52 service aces and 10.15 digs.
- Pacing Regis (Mass.) on the stat sheet is Brett Krahl, who anchors the Pride with a .353 hit percentage on 81 total kills, .55 blocks and .39 service aces.
- Drew Beimel leads the Pride in kills per set (3.00) and Chris Fritta averages 2.67 digs per set with a total of 72 digs, while Jayson Vega rounds the leaders with 7.45 assists.
- The last meeting between Emerson and Regis (Mass.) came back on February 23, 2017 in Boston with the Pride coming away with the 3-1 victory over the Lions.
SCOUTING THE MUSTANGS
- 17 matches deep, the Mustangs of Mount Ida hold an 8-9 overall record to match a 0-3 record against GNAC teams.
- The Mustangs took part in tri-match play this past Saturday against Regis (Mass.) and No. 14 Wentworth and found themselves at the end of two 3-0 setbacks.
- Brett Southworth anchors Mount Ida on both offensive and defensives ends with 3.19 kills and 166 total swings, as well as 2.10 digs per set and 109 total digs and serves .87 aces.
- Isaac Reed leads the Mustangs with a hit percentage of .126, Tyler Shinkle paces the defense with
- .36 blocks and Kevin Keohane racks up 6.40 assists per set.
- Emerson swept Mount Ida in last year's season series and took two 3-0 sweeps over the Mustangs coming on March 23, 2017 and April 1, 2017.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS