Score: Babson 78, Emerson 48
Records: Emerson Lions (5-10, 3-5 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (12-5, 8-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2018
The Lead: Junior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) tallied a season-best 14 points for the Lions as the Emerson women's basketball team was topped 78-48 to the visiting Babson Beavers in NEWMAC women's basketball action on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boyle led the way with 14 points on 7-of-9 to go along with two rebounds and a pair of blocks.
- Junior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) pulled down a team-best five boards and four assists, while freshman Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) had three steals.
- Payton Ouimette finished with a double double of 18 points and 13 boards, while both Elizabeth Lane and Tea Spellacy were credited with five assists each.
- Emerson finished 21-of-60 (35%) on the night with 15% of its shots coming on the perimeter and converted 30% from the free throw line.
- Babson went 28-of-67 (41.8%) and finished 6-of-17 from beyond the arc (35.5%) and 76.2% on the charity line (16-21).
- Babson beat Emerson on the glass (54-27), while Emerson topped Babson in assists (16-15).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the first frame in the books, Babson held the 20-14 advantage over Emerson backed by nine points from Ouitmette.
- The Beavers jumped out to an early 7-0 lead at the 8:29 mark before the Lions canned back-to-back jumpers from Boyle to bring the hosts within three at 7-4.
- Emerson trailed by nine going into the final 1:58 of quarter after Nichole Hiller canned a triple to put the score at 19-10 in Babson's favor.
- The hosts closed the first out tacking on four of the final five points to bring themselves within five at 19-14 before Ouitmette tallied the Beavers 20th point from the free throw line.
- Babson led by as much as 15 in the second quarter and converted 43.8% from the floor as Emerson found themselves down 14 going into the break at 39-25.
- The closest Emerson came to within Babson was 12 (41-29), which was at the 7:24 mark of the third stanza after a trey from Boyle.
- After the trey from Boyle, the Beavers gained its biggest lead of 20 (52-32) with two minutes on the clock on a pair of free throws from Lane.
- Through the final minute and a half of the third, Emerson came as close as 15 on a layup from sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) at 52-37 with the Beavers tacking on three more to give them the 55-37 lead entering the fourth.
- Emerson stayed within Babson by a 15-point margin through the beginning portions of the fourth before the Beavers continued to extend its lead into the 20s and eventually up to 32 to seal the final at 78-48.
- Emerson remains at Brown & Plofker this coming Saturday, January 20 and will face Coast Guard in a NEWMAC contest slated for a 1:00 p.m. start.
- Babson will be in NEWMAC action on Saturday as well as the Beavers welcome Springfield for a 1:00 p.m. contest.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS