Score: WPI 58, Emerson 47
Records: Emerson Lions (11-14, 8-8 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (20-5, 13-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
Date: Saturday, February 17, 2018
The Lead: Sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) tallied a team-high 16 points for the Lions as the Emerson women's basketball team closed regular season action with a 58-47 setback to the WPI Engineers in NEWMAC play on Saturday afternoon.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Madden and Madison Beck each scored 16 points for the Lions and Engineers respectively.
- Madden added four rebounds, three assists, and one steal.
- Junior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) canned 14 for the Lions of 6-11 shooting from the field.
- The Lions shot 34.5% (19-55) from the field and 22.2% (4-18) from three point land.
- WPI shot 39.6% (21-53) and 25% (4-16) from three.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There were three lead changes and three ties in the first quater, with WPI taking the lead late.
- WPI grabbed the lead with 4:38 reamining in the first quarter and never fell behind again, although the Lions were able to tie the game three more times.
- At halftime, the Lions trailed by five points at 24-19.
- The Lions continued to batlle, cutting the lead to two in the third and fourth quarters, btu were unable to overtake WPI.
- WPI closed the game out with a pair of Madison Beck free throws which extended the lead to double digits with just over three mintues remaining.
- The Lions and WPI will both be participating in the NEWMAC championships, starting on Wednesday.
- WPI, the second seed, will host the seventh seed Coast Guard Bears at 5:30 on Wednesday night.
- Emerson will travel to take on the third seeded Babson Beavers at 7:00 on Wednesday night.
NEWMAC CHAMPIONSHIP BRACKET
2018 NEWMAC Women's Basketball Championship
Quarterfinal, Wednesday, February 21st (at higher seeds)
No. 5 MIT at No. 4 Springfield – 7:00 p.m.
No. 6 Emerson at No. 3 Babson – 7:00 p.m.
No. 7 Coast Guard at No. 2 WPI – 5:30 p.m.
Semifinals, Saturday, February 24th (at Smith)
Winner of No. 5/No.4 at No. 1 Springfield – 1:00 p.m.
Winner of No. 6/No. 3 vs. Winner of No. 7/No. 2 – 3:30 p.m.
Finals, Sunday, February 25th (at Smith)
Semifinal Winners – 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS