Score: Babson, Emerson
Records: Emerson Lions (11-14, 8-8 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (20-5, 13-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: Wednesday, February 21, 2018
The Lead: The Babson Beavers were led by Katherine Tamulionis who scored 19 points on 3-3 from beyond the arc on their way to an 85-57 win over the Lions in the NEWMAC Championship Quarterfinals.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Katherine Tamulionis led the way for the Beavers, scoring 17 points in the first half, hitting all three of her attempts from beyond the arc. She finished with 19 on 8 of 10 shooting from the field, adding one assist and one steal.
- Brenna Legacy and Payton Ouimette were in double figures for the Beavers as well, scoring 13 and 10 points respectively.
- The Lions were led by Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, CA), who totaled 11 points on 5-6 shooting from the field. Boyle added five rebounds, two blocks, and two steals.
- Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) scored 12 points, hitting three of six from beyond the arc. She added three rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Off the bench, Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) contribued eight points on 4-7 shooting from the field, grabing three rebounds and assisting on one Lions basket.
- The Beavers shot 53.1% (34-64) from the field and 62.5%(10-16) from three point land.
- Emerson shot 41.5% (22-53) from the field and 28.6%(6-21) from thee point land.
- The Lions were out-rebounded 37-29 and were outscored 38-18 on points off of turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Beavers jumped out to an early 17-8 lead with 3:51 remaining in the first quarter.
- Emerson cut the lead to 19-13 before Babson ended the quarter on a 8-0 run, extending the lead to 26-13 at the end of the first quarter.
- Unable to find their shot in the second quarter, the Lions fell behind by 32 at halftime, with a score of 52-20.
- The Lions came out firing in the second half, started by a Quinn Madden three pointer to open the half.
- The Beavers outscored the Lions 19-18 in the third frame, extending their lead to 71-38.
- The Lions continued to fight, keeping pace with the Beavers throughout the second half, but were unable to mount a comeback.
- The game ended with a final score of 85-57
- The loss marks the end of the Lions' season, which saw them go 11-15 overall and an 8-8 record in regular season NEWMAC contests.
- The Babson Beavers will take on the Engineers of WPI in the NEWMAC semifinals on Saturday, February 24th at Smith College starting at 3:30pm.