Score: Wheaton (Mass.) 2, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (3-6-2, 3-2 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons (10-1-1, 4-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, October 10, 2017
The Lead: Despite a net from junior Alexandra Levin (Glen Ellyn, Ill.) to put the Lions on top in the 33rd minute of the first half, the Emerson women's soccer team surrendered a pair of goals in the 34th and 37th minute to Wheaton (Mass.) to shoulder a 2-1 setback on Tuesday night in NEWMAC women's soccer action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wheaton outshot Emerson, 14-12, while the Lions held the 8-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Both Wheaton and Emerson committed eight infractions.
- Levin scored the lone goal for Emerson with freshman Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fl.) being credited with the assist.
- In net for Emerson was senior keeper Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.), who halted six shots and allowed a pair of goals through 90 minutes.
- Sam Ortiz, and Lily Scammon each tallied goals for Wheaton with Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo earning the assist.
- Alexa Barbagallo started the first 45 minutes in net for the Lyons and allowed one goal and turned away three shots, while Leann Wolf was two for two in saves in the final 45 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At the 33rd minute mark, Emerson notched the early 1-0 lead thanks to a net by Levin.
- After Benavente's recovery of a throw in, her initial shot from a scrum within the right post bounced off Barbagallo's hands and onto the foot of Levin, who rolled the ball into right corner.
- Three minutes after Emerson made their way onto the board, Wheaton answered at the 34th minute mark to knot the score, 1-all after the Lyon's initial shot was blocked and found the feet of Ortiz
- Three minutes after Wheaton tallied the equalizer, the Lyons gave themselves an insurance goal at the 37th minute to edge them to a 2-1 lead entering the half.
- O'Brien-Pappalardo took a shot from inside the right post to have it blocked by Gartelman, but the ball tipped off her fingers and was booted into the net by Scammon.
- At the conclusion of the first half, Emerson outshot Wheaton, 6-5 as each had four shots on goal.
- No scoring was done in the final 45 as Wheaton outshot Emerson, 9-6.
- Emerson continues its home stand on Saturday, October 14 with a NEWMAC contest against the visiting Wellesley Blue at 1:00 p.m.
- Wheaton returns home for non conference action and will host Connecticut College on Thursday, October 12 at 4:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!