Score: Clark 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (3-10-2, 3-6 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (8-6-2, 3-4-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Field)
Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2017
The Lead: Junior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) tacked on unassisted net with 1:10 left in regulation, but it was not enough to lift the Emerson women's soccer team as the Clark Cougars notched three second half goals to top the Lions, 3-1, in NEWMAC women's soccer action on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot, 19-8, by Clark and saw the Cougars hold the 8-3 corner kick advantage.
- The Cougars committed seven infractions, while the Lions committed 13.
- Frost tallied Emerson's one goal and registered two shots.
- In the net for the Lions was senior keeper Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.), who allowed three tallies and came away with seven saves on 10 shot attempts.
- Danielle Black paced Clark with a pair of goals, while Bailey Glenn contributed one goal and Macy Golman was credited with an assist.
- Julianna Christy allowed Emerson to one goal within 90 minutes between the pipes and turned away four shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Clark battled through the opening 45 minutes and entered halftime in a 0-0 knot as the hosts outshot the Lions, 9-1.
- It was within the 66th minute that Clark snapped the scoreless tie on a net by Black to put the Cougars up 1-0.
- After the Cougars were awarded a free kick, Black collected the ball and drilled it over Gartelman's fingertips.
- Seven minutes later, Glenn collected Inonge Kaloustian's ricocheted shot off the crossbar and shot Clark's second goal into the lower left side with the score now 2-0.
- Black's second net of the game counted as an insurance goal for the hosts after she gained possession of a corner kick and flicked the ball into the back of the net to give Clark a 3-0 cushion.
- Emerson erased Clark's shutout bid thanks to Frost, who managed to slip in the Lions first goal past Christy within a scuffle in front of the net.
- Emerson wraps up the 2017 regular season when it hosts No. 13 MIT on Saturday, October 28 at 4:00 p.m.
- Clark also closes out their season on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. and will meet Smith.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!