Score: Emerson 3, University of New England 0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-22)
Records: Emerson Lions (3-2) ; University of New England Nor'Easters (1-3)
Location: Biddeford, Me. (Harold Alfond Forum)
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2017
The Lead: Freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) registered double digits in kills for the fifth consecutive match to help push the Emerson women's volleyball team's straight sweep win over the University of New England on Thursday night at the Harold Alfond Forum.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper paced Emerson with 13 kills and added an ace, nine digs and a pair of block assists.
- Junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) followed with nine kills and six blocks, while classmate Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) registered 26 helpers and sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) served seven aces.
- Casey Davies and Molly Camelo each put up six swings for UNE, while Kristen Falcinelli had 19 assists, Kacie Flahive served a pair of aces, Katie Marsh had seven digs and Rene Roggenbuck led the defense with three block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bertrand served up five aces to spark an early 7-0 run to give Emerson the 8-2 lead, a lead the Lions never surrendered and took the first set, 25-14.
- A kill by Micaela McNamara and two consecutive Lions errors allowed the Nor'Easters to close within five at 14-9 and again at 17-12, but five was the closest they would come.
- The Lions embarked on an 8-2 streak to close out the set.
- A mere three errors on 20 total attacks allowed Emerson to edge past UNE in the second frame by a score of 25-19 to take the 2-0 lead.
- Emerson and UNE were neck-and-neck through the opening portion of the frame until the Lions gained a four-point lead at 9-5.
- With UNE only down a pair at 14-12, Emerson registered five of the next six points to give themselves breathing room to put the score at 19-13.
- Though UNE closed within three at 20-17, Emerson tacked on the final five of seven scores to close out the 25-19 win.
- Emerson jumped out to another fast start and gained an 8-2 lead to start off the final frame.
- The Lions maintained a steady lead over the Nor'Easters until UNE pulled to within two twice, once at 14-12 and against at 18-16 after a 4-0 run.
- With a combined five kills, a pair of swings by Guerra and a trio from Tepper, Emerson was able to half a UNE comeback and snagged the 25-22 win to complete the sweep.
- Emerson returns home on Saturday, September 9 as it prepares to host Colby College and Amherst for a tri-match that is set to begin at 11:00 a.m.
- UNE steps into tri-match play in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. on Friday and Saturday, September 8-9 and will face King's (Pa.), Bates, Medaille (N.Y.) and host Vassar (N.Y.).
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!