Score: Emerson 3, Mount Holyoke 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-15)
Records: Emerson Lions (5-6, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; Mount Holyoke Lyons (4-5, 0-4 NEWMAC)
Location: South Hadley, Mass. (Mildred S. Howard Gym)
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2017
The Lead: Freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) and sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) notched 11 kills to contribute to the Emerson women's volleyball team's straight sweep win over Mount Holyoke for its first NEWMAC victory of 2017 on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper and Bertrand both recorded 11 kills, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) had an overall match-best 30 helpers.
- Junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) paced the Lions with 11 digs and served up a pair of aces along with Bertrand and junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) led the defense with two blocks.
- Sasha Simine led Mount Holyoke with seven kills, while both Melissa Stewart and Brayden Walden each registered 10 assists.
- Cameron Graham served two aces, Isabell Linde had nine digs and Jamesa Allen paced the Lyons defense with a trio of block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Mount Holyoke 20)
- Five consecutive Emerson errors allowed Mount Holyoke to grab the 11-5 lead after both teams played a neck-and-neck game to start off the first set.
- The Lions countered for the next six points to knot the score at 11-all before the Lyons began to distance themselves with a four point cushion on a kill by Simine.
- Tepper capped off a 5-0 run with a swing to edge Emerson over Mount Holyoke by one at 17-16 and wrapped up the 25-20 set win on a string of five consecutive points.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Mount Holyoke 15)
- Emerson banged out a 5-0 lead to begin the second frame before Mount Holyoke erased the Lions lead to put the score at 9-8 after kills by Linde and Allen.
- The Lions never allowed the Lyons too close and tacked on the final eight of nine points to wrap up the 25-15 stanza win.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Mount Holyoke 15)
- A kill from Sarah Caggiano allowed Mount Holyoke to claim a 9-8 edge over Emerson.
- The Lions jumped back out in front at 12-9, but a pair of swings from Caggiano put the Lyons back within one at 12-11.
- Emerson produced the next 10 of 13 scores to push themselves to an eight point cushion at 22-14.
- The hosts were able to record one final kill before Bertrand laid down a pair of hits to lift Emerson to the 25-15 set win and 3-0 match victory.
- Emerson returns to the hardwood on Tuesday, September 26 as the Lions prepare to welcome Clark for a NEWMAC match at 7:00 p.m.
- Mount Holyoke will also be in NEWMAC action on Tuesday and head off to WPI at 7:00 p.m.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!