Score: Emerson 3, Smith 0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-10)
Records: Emerson Lions (10-9, 3-5 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (7-12, 0-8)
Location: Northampton, Mass. (Ainsworth Gymnasium)
Date: October 10, 2017
The Lead: Sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) recorded a double-double effort of 12 kills and 17 digs to match five aces to help power the Emerson women's volleyball team past the Smith Pioneers in a 3-0 sweep at Ainsworth Gymnasium on Tuesday night in NEWMAC women's volleyball play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with Bertrand, freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.) recorded a season-best 12 kills with junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) following with seven.
- Junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recorded 36 helpers, while two more Lions notched double digits in digs including junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) (14) and sophomore Jessica Braunstein (Demarest, N.J.) (10).
- On the defensive side, senior Halley Dewey (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) notched an overall-match high six blocks.
- Amy Hagen led the Smith offense with six kills and 10 digs, while Caleigh Johnson also registered six kills, served four aces and had a trio of blocks and Kimani Freeman recorded 11 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Smith 16)
- After Smith kept within reach of Emerson at 7-6, Emerson used the next four of six points to start extending its lead at 11-8.
- A streak of 5-1 followed to push the Lions up by nine at 17-8 on an ace by Bertrand before the Purple distanced themselves even more and gave themselves a cushion of 11 points (22-11).
- The Pioneers were able to produce three more points that put the score at 24-16, but the Lions closed out the first stanza 25-16 win on a kill by Bertrand.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Smith 22)
- Smith claimed an early 8-3 advantage over Emerson to start off the second frame until the Lions began to weasel their way back into the set.
- With Smith still holding a lengthy 11-5 lead, the Lions pieced together a streak of eight consecutive points that consisted of a trio of kills from Alexander to bump the Lions ahead at 13-11.
- Emerson continued to hold off Smith through the remaining portion of the frame despite the Pioneers closing within a pair at 24-22 and grabbed the comeback win on a bad set by the Pioneers.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Smith 10)
- Emerson never allowed Smith to within more than a pair through the opening of the final frame and sparked enough life to cruise to a 25-10 win.
- With the Lions advantage at 16-9, Smith tacked on its final point of the set on a kill by Xeia Miller before the Lions held the Pioneers scoreless and tallied the last nine points, closing the sweep out as Bertrand stepped up to line to serve an ace.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!