Score: Simmons 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (10-10, 3-5 NEWMAC) ; Simmons Sharks (14-9, 7-1 CCC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Friday, October 13, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's volleyball team shouldered a straight 3-0 sweet setback to the Simmons Sharks in non conference women's volleyball action on Friday afternoon at Brown & Plofker Gym. The Lions were topped in the opening set, 25-23, before the Sharks took the next two sets by scores of 25-22 and 25-16.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) led Emerson with eight kills with classmate Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recording an overall match high 22 assists
- Sophomore Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) served a pair of aces, while junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) and sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.) each registered double digits in digs - Cohen with 13 and Bertrand with 11.
- Three Lions, including freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.), Brennan and Guerra each produced one block assist.
- On the offensive side for Simmons, both Morgan Weeg (14) and Jarene Harberts (10) put double digits in kills, while Weeg also finished out a double-double with 11 digs.
- Faith Gray-Williams had 17 assists, Harberts served five aces, Julia Fusco produced a match-best 22 digs and Brittany Gotts led the Sharks defense with a pair of block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Simmons 25, Emerson 23)
- Emerson and Simmons exchanged the lead within the opening portion of the first frame before the Sharks used a streak of five points to break a 9-7 Lions lead to and take the 12-9 edge.
- After the Lions closed to within one at 12-11 on a kill by Alexander, the Sharks pieced together a 6-1 run to bump their lead to six at 18-12.
- Emerson used multiple attack errors committed by Simmons to claw their way back to take a 22-21 lead, but the Sharks put up the last four of five points to claim the 25-23 win.
SET TWO (Simmons 25, Emerson 22)
- Much like the first set, the lead flip flopped between both Emerson and Simmons with the Lions pulling away with a cushion of seven points at 15-8 on back-to-back swings from Alexander.
- Simmons erased Emerson's seven-point advantage and produced a 7-0 streak to knot the match at 15-all.
- Emerson carried the lead through the middle portion of the set and jumped ahead at 21-20, but Simmons registered the set's four of five points to take the 25-22 comeback victory.
SET THREE (Simmons 25, Emerson 16)
- The Sharks banged out the first six of eight points of final frame to gain a 6-1 lead over the Lions and continued to bump its lead up to 13-6 after a kill by Harberts and a pair of Lions attack errors.
- Emerson began to surge and produced the frame's five of six scores to pull within a pair at 14-12 and kept a steady pace of within no more than three at 18-15.
- Simmons commanded the closing half of the set and rolled to a 25-16 win as an ace by Riley Roberge capped off the win.
- Emerson head across town to take on Wentworth for an early 11:00 a.m. non conference match on Saturday, October 14.
- Simmons returns home on Wednesday, October 18 to welcome Emmanuel (Mass.) for a Commonwealth Coast Conference match at 7:00 p.m.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!