Score: Wheaton (Mass.) 5, Emerson 0
Pitching Decision: W - Dan Southerland (3-1) ; L - Jack Fox (2-3)
Records: Emerson Lions (8-13, 1-9 NEWMAC); Wheaton Lyons (16-8, 7-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Brockton, Mass. (Campanelli Stadium)
Date: April 14, 2017
The Lead: After Fox and Sutherland embarked in a pitching dual over the first six innings, it was Wheaton who was able to tack on five runs through the final three frames to shutout the Emerson baseball team, 5-0, in NEWMAC action on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fox and Southerland embarked in a pitcher's dual as both tossed zeros through the six frames.
- Stellar defense from Emerson's end saved a run within the top of the fourth.
- Zach Goodwin-Boyd began Wheaton's fourth with a double into right center, but was tagged out at home in an attempt to keep the Lyons inning alive.
- Wheaton threatened again in the fifth after Fox surrendered a pair of singles, yet he was able to strand the runners on second third with back-to-back punch outs.
- Within Wheaton's half of the seventh, the Lyons got to Fox for a pair of runs to pull them in front, 2-0.
- Chris Ruocco took Fox deep to give Wheaton the 1-0 lead before Matt Cook plated the second Lyons run on a throwing error by the pitcher.
- After miscue at first and Joe Santigate's double into left placed runners at second and third with no outs in the eighth, senior pitcher Cal Laird (Willowbrook, Ill.) entered the game and sent the Lyons back to the dugout in order.
- Laird got into trouble to start off the ninth frame and surrendered three runs in the top of the ninth to allow Wheaton to build its lead to 5-0.
- Goodwin-Boyd brought in Cook for the first run of the inning on a grounder to short.
- On a miscue by the shortstop, Santigate safely reached first to plate Nick Raposo before Boyd wrapped the inning up with an RBI infield single to short.
- Southerland was able to retire Emerson in order on a pair of fly outs and a grounder to third.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Nolan Megna (Buffalo, N.Y.), senior Danny Johnson (Mashpee, Mass.) and senior Kyle Becker (Jericho, N.Y.) all notched hits for Emerson.
- Fox started on the mound for seven innings where he allowed a pair of runs (one earned) on eight hits with three walks and four punch outs through the 34 batters he faced.
- Laird entered the final two frames and surrendered a trio of runs (one earned) on a single hit while he struck out two.Af
- Boyd and Ruocco both finished 2-for-5 at the plate for Wheaton.
- Boyd notched a pair of singles with an RBI and Ruocco finished with a single, home run, one run scored and an RBI.
- Southerland pitched the complete nine frames where allowed just four hits and zero runs to match one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Emerson and Wheaton wrap up its three-game series with a NEWMAC twin bill at Wheaton tomorrow, April 15, with the first game slated for 12:00 p.m. start.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS