Score: Emerson 14, Rivier 3
Records: Emerson Lions (4-6) ; Rivier Raiders (1-8)
Pitching Decision: W - Henry Schwartz (1-2) | L - Cameron Way (0-5)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (St. John's Prep)
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018
The Lead: Freshman John Gabert (Bedford, N.H.) smacked his first career homer on a three-run shot in the fourth frame within a 13-hit day by the Lions as the Emerson baseball team's bats sparked in a 14-3 rout over Rivier in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
IN THE BOX
- Senior Neil Perry (Middleboro, Mass.), sophomore Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) and junior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) all went 2-for-4 for Emerson with Perry tallying two runs and one stolen base, Cuccio crossed three runs along with one RBI and a stolen base and Rogers scored one run and also stole a bag.
- Sophomore Cam Beattie (Gilbert, Ariz.) and Gabert had three RBIs each with Beattie driving his in on a triple and Gabert launching a three-run shot, while junior Ethan Young (Amherst, Mass.) drove in a pair on a triple.
- For Rivier, Fred Kazlaski finished 2-for-3 with a run, one RBI and stole three bags, while Brandon Thibault crossed one run, drove in a run and stole one base.
ON THE MOUND
- Schwartz earned his first win of the season behind a six inning effort where he allowed two runs (one earned) on one hit, two walks and four strikeouts.
- Junior Jake Mitchell (Monroe, Ohio), sophomore Sam Knox (Sturbridge, Mass.) and sophomore Jack Fox (Los Angeles, Calif.) each pitched one inning in the final three frames where they gave up three hits, two walks and struck out four.
- Way was tagged with the loss for Rivier after he allowed three runs (one earned) to plate on one hit, two walks and three strikeouts.
- Zachery Rodrigues pitched 4.2 innings and surrendered seven runs on seven hits, including one homer, as well as three walks and five strikeouts.
- Daniel White and James Magno pitched the final 2.1 frames gave up a combined four hits, four runs (two earned) and struck out two.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson took advantage of early Rivier errors and were able to get three runs across within its half of the first to take a 3-0 edge.
- Sophomore Joe Paladino (Bedminster, N.J.) plated the first run on a passed ball before senior Pablo Feldman (Mill Valley, Calif.) safely reached first on a throwing error to plate the next two Lions' runs.
- Within the third and fourth frames, the Emerson bats helped give Schwartz a comfortable lead with a combined five runs to bump the Lions' lead up to 8-0.
- Young rocketed a two RBI triple into left within the third before Gabert smacked his first career homer over the left fielder's head that brought in three more runs.
- Rivier used the sixth inning to tag Schwartz with a pair of runs as they capitalized on a pair of Lions errors to put the Raiders on the board at 8-2.
- The Lions also tacked on two more runs within the home half of the sixth as they extended their advantage up to 10-2 before Kazlaski brought in the third Raiders run on an infield single to second with the score at 10-3.
- White got knocked around in the seventh frame and surrendered four runs, including a three-RBI triple that Beattie launched into left that iced Emerson's 14-3 win.
- Emerson hits the road on Tuesday, March 20 down at Rhode Island College for a 3:30 p.m. meeting.
- Rivier will also be in action on Tuesday afternoon against Lesley at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS