Overall: 5-11 (1-4 NEWMAC)
Scoreboard: Emerson 7, Coast Guard 1 | New London, Conn. | March 27, 2018
Fisher 13, Emerson 2 | Boston, Mass. | March 30, 2018
WPI 12, Emerson 2 | Northboro, Mass. | March 31, 2018
WPI 21, Emerson 10 | Northboro, Mass. | March 31, 2018
Schedule: Tuesday, April 3 vs. Coast Guard*, Brockton, Mass., 3:30 p.m. | Live Stats
Friday, April 6 vs. MIT*, Brockton, Mass., 3:30 p.m. | Live Stats
Saturday, April 7 at MIT*, Cambridge, Mass., 12 & 3 p.m.
Sunday, April 8 at Mass. Maritime, Buzzards Bay, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
BOSTON - The Emerson baseball team prepare for another packed week mixed with out of conference and in conference slates, starting with a rematch against Coast Guard on its home diamond on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. The Lions step out of NEWMAC play on Thursday afternoon at Gordon in a 3:30 p.m. slate before taking on MIT all weekend. Then on Sunday, the Lions will wrap their busy week with its second out of conference game down at Mass. Maritime at 2:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson started last week off with its first NEWMAC win down at Coast Guard, 7-1, backed by a nine inning gem from sophomore Jack Fox (Los Angeles, Calif.).
- The win over the Bears was the Lions' lone win as the Purple were downed in its next three contests, including a loss at Fisher on Friday followed by a doubleheader sweep by WPI on Saturday.
EMERSON IN THE BOOKS
- Within its first 16 games, Emerson has racked up a .223 team batting average to go along with a .314 on base percentage and slugging percentage of .274 with 69 runs scored.
REPRESENTING IN THE NEWMAC
- Senior Neil Perry (Middleboro, Mass.) remains in the seventh spot in the conference with a batting average of .391.
- Both freshman John Gabert (Bedford, N.H.) and junior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) pace Emerson on the bags with Gabert stealing five (T-7th) and Rogers following with four (T-10th).
- On the mound, Fox and senior Henry Schwartz (Queens, N.Y.) have one save apiece (T-5th) and also are within the top-10 in strikeouts with Fox fanning 22 batters (5th) and Schwartz sending down 20 batters (8th).
SCOUTING THE BEARS
- This will be the second meeting between Emerson and Coast Guard as the Bears enter Tuesday's contest with a record 6-8 and are 0-5 against NEWMAC teams.
- Coast Guard most recently suffered a pair of setbacks at the hands of Babson, who topped the Bears 5-1 and 19-2 in doubleheader play last Saturday.
- As a team, Coast Guard registers a team batting average of .266 to go along with a .344 on base percentage and .323 slugging percentage while having crossed 67 runs.
- Luke Thompson leads the Bears in the batter's box with a .444 batting average as well as a .483 on base percentage and .481 slugging percentage on 11 runs and 24 hits.
- Jon Pressley had driven in 11 runs, while Alex Murdoch, Thompson and Will Stephens lead on the base paths with two stolen bases apiece.
- Coast Guard's pitching is led by Brett Sullivan, who has a 2-2 record through four games and has allowed 15 runs (nine earned) on nine walks along with 21 strikeouts and a 3.24 within 25.0 innings pitched.
SCOUTING THE FIGHTING SCOTS
- The Fighting Scots of Gordon currently hold a record of 7-8 15 games deep into 2018 and are 1-1 after splitting its first Commonwealth Coast Conference twin bill at Wentworth this past Saturday.
- Gordon has racked up a .302 team batting average with an on base percentage of .382 and slugging percentage of .376 while having plated 90 runs.
- Christian Hodge anchors the Fighting Scots' bats with a .412 batting average on 14 runs, 21 hits and 14 RBIs, while Travis Benoit has registered a .472 slugging percentage and one homer and Daniel Quint has seven stolen bases.
- Derek Hudson paces the Gordon pitching staff with a 2.84 ERA on 24 strikeouts within 31.2 innings on the bump, while Joe Pedulla has a team-best four wins and Garrett Poole has one save under his belt.
- The last meeting between Emerson and Gordon dates back to April 19, 2017 when the Fighting Scots edged out the Lions, 10-7.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
- Emerson's final NEWMAC meeting of the week comes against the MIT Engineers, who have posted a 7-5 overall record to go with a conference record of 3-1.
- The Engineers, who are currently riding a three game win streak, picked up its most recent pair of wins in a 6-5 win over Springfield after topping No. 23 Endicott 3-2 back on March 29.
- Before meeting Emerson this coming weekend, MIT will first meet Clark and Tufts.
- Ethan Rolland leads MIT with a .383 batting average along with a team leading 18 hits, while Zach Roberts has recorded a .485 on base percentage and .542 slugging percentage.
- David Heller has crossed home for 13 runs as well as driving in 10 runs with Matt Johnston sending four balls out of the park and Garrett Greenwood stealing 10 bases.
- Seven pitchers on the MIT pitching staff have recorded one win each with Tommy Hannan and Jack Murray each picking up one save.
- Along with Hannan and Murray, Casey Bussone leads the Engineers with a 1.46 ERA and Greenwood has sent 16 batters down on strikes.
- MIT and Emerson met back on April 8, 2017 at Campanelli Stadium where the Engineers picked up the sweep over the Lions.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS