Score: Clark 15, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (6-15, 1-8 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (15-5, NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: W - Patrick Robinson (2-0) | L - Henry Schwartz (2-5)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Turf Fields)
Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson baseball team squandered a 15-2 NEWMAC setback over at Clark on Tuesday afternoon that saw seniors Neil Perry (Middleboro, Mass.) and Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) collected a combined four of the Lions seven hits.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
IN THE BOX
- Perry went 2-for-4 at the plate and Quitadamo finished 2-for-3, while freshman Ryan McCahan (San Jose, Calif.) went 1-for-1 with a run scored and freshman Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) had one RBI.
- Kyle Bonicki anchored the Clark bats by going 3-for-4 with four runs and one RBI, while both Zach Kelly and Nick Jordan each had three RBIs.
ON THE MOUND
- Schwartz surrendered nine runs (seven earned) through four innings while giving up eight hits along with two walks and one strikeout.
- Notching the win for Clark was Robinson, who spread two runs (one earned) through a seven inning outing on six hits while he struck out five and walked one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Clark bats were busy through the first first frames and were able to put 10 runs on the board for an early 10-1 over the Emerson.
- Nick Jordan propelled Clark's lead to 3-0 in the second after he belted a homer over the left field fence before sophomore Joe Paladino (Bedminster, N.J.) brought the Lions within two (3-1) on a sacrifice fly in the top of the third.
- Three more runs plated in the home half of the Cougars' third on a sacrifice fly and balk as Derek Lefebrve sent one deep into left center with the hosts lead now at 6-1.
- A pair of RBI singles from Bonicki and Teddy Downing along with a two bagger by Jordan lifted Clark to a lengthy 10-1 advantage after five.
- The second Lions' run crossed in the top of the sixth inning thanks to Cuccio sneaking an RBI single between the shortstop and third baseman.
- The hosts spread five more runs through the seventh and eighth innings to seal the 15-2 win over the Lions as J. Dobratz was able retire the visitors in order on a pair of fly balls and a punch out.
- Emerson steps out of conference play on Thursday, April 12 with a 7:00 p.m. meeting at Lasell.
- Clark hits the field tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 p.m. for a single NEWMAC slate at MIT.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS