Score: Rivier Raiders 9, Emerson 4
Records: Emerson Lions (2-8) ; Rivier Raiders (2-8)
Pitching Decision: WP: Chris Cochran (2-0) | LP: Tim Mainella (0-2)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: Thursday, March 14, 2019
The Lead: Emerson shouldered a non-conference loss to the Rivier Raiders, with the Raiders scoring eight unanswered runs to finish out the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Quinton Copeland (Houston, Texas) led all players on the field, with four hits. Copeland reached base in four of his five at bats.
- CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) hit his first home run of the season, and had two RBIs in the game.
- Chris Cochran pitched a four run complete game for the Raiders, earning his second win of the season.
- Tim Maniella (Dover, N.H.) shouldered the loss in relief, his second of the season.
- Emerson out hit the Raiders 12-10, and both teams made one error.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rivier opened up the scoring on a ground rule double from Jorge Martinez in the top of the first, bringing home Anthony Mele.
- Emerson grabbed the run back in the bottom of the frame. Copeland reached first on an infield single, and immediately stole second and third, putting himself in scoring position. After a Ryan McCahan (San Jose, Calif.) walk, the Lions executed the double steal to bring Copeland home and knot the score at one.
- The game remained tied at one until the bottom of the third inning, when McCahan hit a triple to right center field with one out. Cam Beattie (Gilbert, Ariz.) came up with two out and connected on a double to right center field, bringing home McCahan and giving Emerson a 2-1 lead.
- The Lions tacked on 2 more runs in the bottom of the first on a home run by CJ Rogers to left field, bringing home Dylan Scarfo (Upper Montclair, N.J.) and giving Emerson a 4-1 lead.
- The Raiders pulled one back in the top of the fifth inning, putting two players on based. A single by Frederick Kazalski brought home Jalen Shirley, bringing the score to 4-2.
- Rivier rallied in the top of the seventh inning, loading the bases with one out. An Anthony Mele double down the line brought home Dillon Brady and Shirley, knotting the game at four.
- Kazalski hit a sac fly to left field, bringing home Thibaut before a Martinez double brought home Mele, giving Rivier a 6-4 lead after the top of the seventh.
- Rivier tacked on three more runs in the top of the ninth inning, when leadoff hitter Mele singled to center. After moving to second on a passed ball, the catcher scored on a single by Kazlaski to bring the score to 7-4. The Raiders knocked out two more singles to bring home two more runs, extending their lead to five at 9-4.
- Emerson is on the road for the next two games, with the first against Lasell on Tuesday, March 19th at 7:00pm.
- Rivier is back in action tomorrow, taking on Pine Manor at 3:00pm.