Score: Emerson 10, Newbury 2
Records: Emerson Lions (4-14) ; Newbury Nighthawks (1-9)
Pitching Decision: WP: Jack Fox (3-2) | LP: Leo Frisella (0-3)
Location: Northborough, Mass. (New England Baseball Complex)
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Josh Cohen (Corte Madera, Calif.) paced the Emerson bats in a 3-for-5 day at the plate as the baseball team picked up a 10-2 out of conference victory over Newbury College on Thursday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Cohen completed the day with a 3-for-5 showing along with a stolen base, two runs scored and two RBI followed by two hits each from juniors Joe Paladino (Bedminster, N.J.) and Cam Beattie (Gilbert, Ariz.), freshman Joe Colucci (Howell, N.J.) and senior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.).
- Alongside Cohen, Beattie also drove in two of Emerson's 10 runs and a stolen base.
- Fox notched his third win of the season in a five inning outing where he allowed three hits and zero runs while he struck out three.
- Both Brian Cipolla and Wilfredo Ortiz Jr. batted a Newbury-high two hits and Alex LaGreca getting one hit.
- The Emerson bats knocked Frisella out of the game 1.2 innings in as he surrendered six runs (two earned) on five hits and walked three.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson quickly put Newbury in a 6-0 hole after just two innings of play and put two runs up in the first followed by a four-run second.
- After freshman Louie Davolio (Shrewsbury, Mass.) plated the first run on a mishap by the catcher, junior Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) smacked a ground-rule double to bring the second Lions run.
- Rogers began the four-run second frame with an RBI single into right before Beattie drove in two Lions on his RBI double that landed in the left center gap followed by Paladino bringing in Beattie in for the fourth run of the inning on a single.
- Fox held the Newbury bats quiet within his five inning outing and allowed Emerson to extend its lead up to 9-0 in the top half of the fifth.
- Another Nighthawks mishap allowed for two more Lions run to cross home before Davolio's grounder to the first baseman brought in Cohen.
- Emerson plated its 10th and final run within the eighth inning when freshman Calvin Jacey (Mystic, Conn.) successfully reached on a fielder's choice.
- A Lions error by the shortstop got Newbury onto the board within its half of the ninth with two outs as Ryan West sent a pop fly to the shortstop for final out.
- Emerson heads back to Northborough on Saturday, March 30 and reopen NEWMAC play against WPI in a 12 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. doubleheader.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS