Score: MIT 9, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (4-18 / 0-7 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (10-7-1 / 3-1 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: WP: Patrick Callahan (3-0) | LP: Tim Mainella (1-4)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Fran O'Brien Field)
Date: Friday, April 5, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson baseball bats were held silent as the Lions shouldered a 9-0 shutout over at MIT on Friday afternoon to start off a three-game NEWMAC set with the Engineers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Pitching: Mainella - 4.2 innings, 10 hits, nine runs (eight earned), one walk, three strikeouts
Thomas Allison: 3-for-4, two runs scored, one RBI
Zach Roberts: 2-for-4, one run scored, double, two RBIs
Ethan Rolland: 2-for-3, double, three RBIs
Jared Schwait, Cory O'Shea, Andrew Krause, Alec Kushner: one hit
Pitching: Callahan - 8.0 innings, three hits, zero runs, one walk, 12 strikeouts
Ben Burke - 1.0 innings, one hit, zero runs, one walk, one strikeout
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The MIT bats struck early and were able to cross home five times on four hits within the first inning starting with back-to-back RBI singles by Krause and Allison as Rolland's two-run double wrapped the inning.
- Emerson's bats were held quiet, going down 1-2-3 in the first, third, fifth and seventh frames, which allowed the hosts to bolster its lead.
- Within the second, the sixth Engineers run came across on an RBI grounder before the home team recorded RBI hits just inside the left field could line from Roberts and Rolland in the the third to extend Emerson's deficit to 8-0.
- MIT crossed its final run in the fifth frame on Rolland's sacrifice fly that was sent into center to seal the score at 9-0.
- Emerson wraps a three-game series with MIT on Saturday, April 6 over in Cambridge with the first pitch slated for 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS