Score: No. 20 Wheaton (Mass.) 15, Emerson 1
Records: Wheaton (Mass.) (20-6, 20-1 NEWMAC) ; Emerson Lions (5-21, 1-10 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decisions: W: Griffin Young (5-0) ; L: Nick Rempe (0-2)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: April 12, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Men's Baseball Team welcomed the 20th ranked to Pete Frates Diamond, falling in the first game of the series before traveling to Norton to take on the Lyons in a doubleheader on Saturday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Griffin Young earned the win, pitching seven innings, allowing four hits and one run, while striking out five batters.
- Nick Rempe took the loss, pitching one inning. Tim Mainella pitied 5.1 innings in relief for the Lions.
- Nick Raposo and Jacob Studley each had three hits for Wheaton, with both players scoring three runs. Studley drove in three runs while Raposo drove in two.
- Ryan McCahan had one hit and one run for the Lions. Calvin Jacey reached base three times, with one hit and two walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wheaton took a 4-0 lead in the top of the first behind home runs from Studley and Raposo.
- The Lyons extended their lead in the top of the next frame, adding on seven runs headlined by a bases clearing triple by Andrew Manning.
- The Lions got one run back in the bottom of the fourth inning when Louie Davolio reached on an error, giving McCahan a chance to come around to score.
- Wheaton added four more runs before closing out the game 15-1.
- Emerson and Wheaton (Mass.) will play a doubleheader on Saturday, with the first game slated to start at 1:00pm.