Score: Emerson 88, Curry 66
Records: Emerson Lions (6-3) ; Curry Colonels (1-8)
Location: Milton, Mass. (Katz Gymnasium)
Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017
The Lead: With the help of a game-best 27 points from junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.), followed by 17 points from sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) adding 16, the Emerson men's basketball team got back to its winning ways and notched an 88-66 non conference road win over Curry on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Leading all scorers was Gray, who completed the day going 12-for-18 on the floor with six rebounds, six assists and two steals.
- O'Connor joined with 17 points and canned 7-of-12 from the field with Sheng contributing 16 points while grabbing four rebounds and was two assists shy of a double double with eight.
- Curry had two players tally 20+ points including Kieran Carroll, who anchored the Colonels with a double-double of 24 points and 10 boards to go along with two assists and one steal.
- Coming off the bench for the Colonels, Jared Thorpe-Johnson powered out 21 points and one steal, while Akhari Goodridge was credited with four assists and Justin Kelly blocked a pair of shots.
- Emerson finished 37-of-66 (56.1%) while going 8-of-21 from beyond the perimeter (38.1%) and 6-of-8 on the free throw line (75.0%).
- Curry cashed in 39.6% of its shots with a three-point percentage of 33.3% (8-24) and made 10-of-15 shots from the charity stripe (66.7%).
- The visiting Lions topped the Colonels on the boards (46-29) and in assists (19-10), as well as outshooting the hosts within the paint (38-20) and on second chances (11-10).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson embarked on an 8-0 spurt over a two minute span that allowed the Lions to claim an early eight point lead (14-6) with 16:17 remaining in the opening half.
- The visitors continued to put Curry into a deeper deficit as the gap reached 11 points when Gray converted a layup with 9:35 on the clock.
- Carroll connected on a layup to keep the Colonels in the game and cut the lead to as little as five with the score at 32-27.
- Sheng cashed in a shot off the glass to balloon Emerson's lead into double figures by as much as 14 with a little over a minute left to play in the half.
- Curry was able to pour in one last shot before the buzzer sounded when Carroll canned a layup as the Lions carried a 46-34 lead at the break.
- Within the opening moments of the second stanza, Emerson's deficit reached 20 when O'Connor hit a triple to make the score 66-46.
- Sheng answered 30 seconds later with a three of his own before Curry was able to cut Emerson's advantage to as few as 20 in the final moments of the second to seal the 88-66 win.
- Emerson returns to the hardwood in non conference action at Lesley on Tuesday, December 12 at 8:00 p.m.
- Curry takes a break for the holidays and opens up the new year at home against Mass. Maritime on Tuesday, January 2 in a 6:00 p.m. contest.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS