Score: Babson 84, Emerson 72
Records: Emerson Lions (9-9, 3-4 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (10-8, 5-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2018
The Lead: Senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) matched his career-high of 30 points for the Lions as the Emerson men's basketball team were topped 84-72 by the Babson Beavers in NEWMAC men's basketball action on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sheng paced all scorers with 30 points on 10-of-16 and shot 6-of-9 on the three-point line and canned 4-of-5 from the charity stripe to go along with a four rebounds, two steals and a team-best six assists.
- Junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) put up 14 points with a team-high seven boards along with three assists, two steals and one block, while sophomore Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) had a game-best four takeaways and junior Will Lantier (Centerport, N.Y.) had a pair of blocks.
- Babson saw five players tally double figures including Brandon Johnson, who anchored the offense with 27 points on 9-of-14, and was followed by Brian Kelley and Nick Comenale (15), Bradley Jacks (12) and Frank Oftring (10).
- Comenale and Oftring each pulled down seven boards, while Comenale also had five steals and Oftring was credited with three assists.
- Babson finished the night shooting 26-of-32 (50.0%) while going 13-of-29 from the perimeter (44.8%) and canned 19-of-21 on the free throw line (90.5%).
- Emerson shot 45.0% (27-of-60) from the field to go along with a three-point percentage of 37.0% (10-27) and were 80.0% (8-10) from the charity line.
- Both teams pulled down 28 boards apiece, while Emerson topped Babson in assists (15-14) and scoring from within the paint (28-20).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a slow seven minutes for both sides, it was Babson who broke away and embarked on a 35-9 run that at one point saw the Beavers can 11 consecutive points backed by back-to-back triples from Johnson.
- At the conclusion of the run, Emerson found themselves in a 13 point hole at the 7:18 mark of the opening half.
- Things did not get any easier for the Lions as Comenale and Oftring combined for 10 of the Beavers' next 14 points to push the hosts lead up to a commanding 26 points at 45-19 with less than two minutes left in the half.
- Emerson's deficit continued to remain in the 20s at 25 within the early portion of the second half before the Lions found enough rhythm to pull within 13 after Lantier converted the three-point play.
- On a pair of successful free throws from Sheng, the Lions deficit diminished down to 10 (63-53) with 8:18 on the clock.
- Sheng drained a three and pushed Emerson within striking distance at 68-59 with 5:07 to go, but Oftring and Kelley knocked down a pair of three's to cap off a 10-3 run that extended the Beavers' lead back to 78-62.
- Emerson comes back to Brown & Plofker on Saturday, January 27 in a rematch against No. 12 MIT at 3:00 p.m.
- Babson is also in action on Saturday and will travel to Coast Guard at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS