Score: St. Thomas (Minn.) 83, Emerson 78
Records: Emerson Lions (1-3) ; St. Thomas (Minn) Tommies (1-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, November 17, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson Men's Basketball Team fell just short of St. Thomas on Saturday, 83-78. Geoffrey Gray's double double (34pts, 15 rebounds) was not enough as the 2016 National Champion outlasted Emerson's final comeback attempt in the second half.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) led all scorers with 34 points for the Lions. Gray notched a double double with 15 points to go along with his 34 points, adding five assists and one steal in 39 minutes.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) found double figures for Emerson with 20 and 18 respectively. Waterhouse scored in double figures for the fourth consecutive game to start his Emerson career. O'Connor was a perfect 10-10 from the free throw line.
- Connor Bair and Elijah Hannah notched double digit performances for the Tommies with 11 and 12 respectively.
- Emerson outrebounded the Tommie 36-28 but had two less steals at 8 to 6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and St. Thomas traded baskets to begin the game. In the first ten minutes, the biggest lead of the game was six for St. Thomas.
- Emerson turned the tide behind Gray who's layup with 5:56 remaining in the first half game Emerson a five point lead.
- The Tommies closed out the last six minutes of the half on a 12-6 run to take a one point lead at the break, 35-34.
- The teams once again traded baskets to open the half, with Emerson ending up on top juts six minutes into the half 48-47 on an O'Connor three pointer.
- Waterhouse's three pointer just seconds later canceled out the three made by Ryan Lindberg, keeping Emerson's lead at one at 51-50.
- From here, St. Thomas went on a 10-4 run to take a 60-55 lead, and never looked back.
- The Lions to continued to claw, but fell behind 12 and were only able to bring the lead down to five.
- Emerson fell 83-78, with Waterhouse scoring the last two points of the game on a layup.
- Emerson returns to action one more time before the short Thanksgiving break, taking on Pine Manor at home on Tuesday, November 20th at 6:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
- Stay updated on the Emerson men's basketball team and follow the Lions on Twitter, Facebook at Emerson College Men's Basketball as well as on Instagram. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to catch the Lions in action!