Score: Emerson 91, Pine Manor 84
Records: Emerson Lions (2-3) ; Pine Manor Gators (1-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018
The Lead: Junior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) set a career and game high with 32 points waiting with freshman Jarred Houston's (Norwood, Mass.) career high of 22 points to lead the Lions past the Gators of Pine Manor.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Lions' 54.4% (31-57) shooting from the floor outpaced the Gators who made the same number of shots, but missed 10 more. Pine manor shot 40.8% from the field (31-67).
- Jack O'Connor reached a career high with 32 points. O'Connor hit 12 of 13 free throws and went 4-7 from behind the arc. He added five assists and five rebounds.
- Jarred Houston also reached a career high. In just his fifth collegiate game Houston tallied an impressive double double, scoring 22 points and grabbing fifteen rebounds. Houston was 10-14 from the field.
- Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) and Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) continued their streaks of scoring in double figures to start the season. Waterhouse had 13 points off the bench and Gray had 11.
- Pine Manor was paced by Rasheed Bell, who scored 21 points on 9-21 shooting from the field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped out to an early 8-0 lead behind two O'Connor threes and a Houston layup.
- The Gators found their way back into the game, taking the lead just four minutes layer at 13-10.
- The teams traded baskets throughout the rest of the first half, with no team taking more than a three point lead in the frame until time expired. Pine Manor entered the break with a four point lead at 49-45.
- The second half saw Emerson take the lead back quickly, scoring three straight layups by O'Connor, Gray, and Houston to give the Lions a 56-54 lead with 15 minutes remaining.
- Emerson fell behind by one point shortly after, but fought back and was able to open up a nine point lead through another O'Connor three with 8:40 left.
- Pine Manor got back into the game by good free throw shooting and getting to the basket, cutting Emerson's lead to one with 3:48 remaining.
- Down the stretch, Emerson's strong free throw shooting saw out the game with a final score of 91-84.
- Emerson is off for the Thanksgiving break before traveling across the Boston Common to take on the Rams of Suffolk University on Tuesday, November 27th at 7:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS