Score: Tufts 87, Emerson 70
Records: Emerson Lions (4-5) ; Tufts Jumbos (3-4)
Location: Medford, Mass. (Cousens Gym)
Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2018
The Lead: Senior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) paced all scorers with 23 points but it was not enough as Tufts balanced attack with five players in double figures downed Emerson 87-70.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray was the game's high scorer with 23 points, adding six rebounds, four steals, and two assists on the night. Gray was a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line and shot 50% from the field.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) were the other two Lions in double figures. O'Connor had 14 points with seven rebounds, two steals, and one assist while Waterhouse had 13 points with two rebounds, one assist, and one steal.
- Four of five starters for Tufts reached double figures in points and one person off of the Jumbo bench also eclipsed the 10 point mark.
- Eric Savage posted an efficient double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds for Tufts.
- Tufts out rebounded the Lions 52-39.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson scored the first four points of the game and held the small lead into the fourth minute of regulation.
- After the four points, Tufts entered a 12-0 run to take an early eight point lead.
- With just over eight minutes remaining in the first half, Emerson cut the lead to three at 16-13 behind an O'Connor three pointer.
- The Jumbos kept the Lions at bay before five straight points from Gray to tie the game at 26-26 with 1:41 remaining in the first half.
- The next four minutes of game time resulted in a 9-0 run and a 35-26 lead for the Jumbos.
- Emerson was unable to get the lead under seven for the remainder of the game.
- The Lions continued to fight to get back into the game, but the Jumbos balanced attack kept them from threatening the lead too much.
- The game ended with a final score of 87-70.
- Emerson welcomes the Curry College Colonels to the Brown & Plofker Gym at 3:00 pm on Saturday, December 8th in the second game of a Women's and Men's Basketball doubleheader.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS