Score: Emerson 84, Coast Guard 76
Records: Emerson Lions (6-6, 1-0 NEWMAC) ; U.S. Coast Guard Academy bears (9-2, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: New London, Conn. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019
The Lead: Emerson had four played in double figures while being paced by its' two leading scorers Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) and Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.), who each canned 20 points to propel the Lions past the Bears in regulation, 84-76.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Three starters scored in double figures, with Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) joining Gray and O'Connor with 17 points. Housted added 18 rebounds and two blocks for an impressive double-double.
- Gray had 12 rebounds, and had six assists and three steals in 39 minutes of game action.
- Senior Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) scored 12 points off the bench, converting on his lone three pointer and 4-7 total from the field.
- Coast Guard had four players in double figures as well, with three starters. Justin Kane paced the Bears with a 20 point performance. Kane added eight rebounds and two assists.
- As a team, Emerson shot 50.8% from the field and 66.7% from the charity stripe compared to Coast Guard's 35.9% from the field and 59.1% from the free throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Coast Guard jumped out to an early lead, which it held for most of the first half.
- The Lions kept the game close, not allowing the Bears to build a double digit lead despite the hot start.
- The Bears opened up their biggest lead of the afternoon on a Pack Witkowski jump shot with 8:42 remaining in the first half, which brought the lead to eight.
- Emerson roared back and cut the lead to one at 29-28 just two minutes later on a Trevor McLean (Boston, Mass.) three-pointer.
- Just two minutes later, Emerson grabbed its first lead of the game on a Ben Holding layup at 32-31.
- Coast Guard finished the half on a 15-9 run to open up a 46-39 lead after the first frame.
- Both teams went back in forth in the second half, after Emerson cut the lead to one out of the break.
- No team led by more than nine in the final fifteen minuets of game time, with Emerson holding that lead at 74-65 with 4:32 remaining. A Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) lay up from a back door pass by Houston set up the nine point lead.
- Coast Guard came back cutting the lead to two at 77-75 before a Jack O'Connor three-pointer with 1:32 remaining iced the game for the Lions.
- Emerson returns home for their NEWMAC opener on Saturday against Clark University at 1:00pm.