Score: Emerson 86, Clark 81
Records: Emerson Lions (7-6, 2-0 NEWMAC) ; Clark University Cougars (9-2, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 5th, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) paced all scores with 24 points to lead the Lions past the Clark University Cougars 86-81 in a back and forth affair.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Waterhouse led all scorers in the game with 24 points, adding 8 rebounds, one steal, one assist, and one block,
- Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) had an impressive double double with 23 points, 11 rebounds, four assists, and two steals.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and Trevor McLean (Boston, Mass.) each scored in double figures for the Lions, with 16 and 11 points respectively. O'Connor added four steals, assists, and rebounds, while McLean had one steal, assist, and rebound.
- Antonio Lapeyrolerie paced the Cougars with 19 points, hitting five of six of his three point attempts.
- Tyler Davern, Biko Gayman, Brendan Kittredge, and Anthony Grzembski all scored in double figures for Clark with Davern and Grzembski each scoring 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark jumped out to the early lead, scoring 12 of the first 14 points and forcing a timeout by the Lions.
- Emerson cut the lead to five on a Waterhouse layup at 15-10.
- Emerson then rattled off a 10-4 run to take a one point lead at 20-19, taking the lead on a Chad DiCenzo (Andover, Mass.) layup.
- Both teams traded baskets throughout the remaining minutes of the final frame, with Emerson going into the break holding a six point lead at 50-44.
- The Lions opened the half on a 7-0 run, capped off by a McLean three pointer from the corner to open up a 17 point gap over the Cougars.
- Clark continued to battle, and tied the game up with a 23-4 run, headlined by a Lapeyrolerie three pointer, knotting the score at 63.
- Emerson scored the next eight points and had a 71-63 lead with eight minutes remaining in the game.
- The Lions never surrendered the lead, although the Cougars cut it to three with just under nine seconds remaining. O'Connor stepped up and hit two free throws to ice the game for Emerson.
- The Lions welcome in cross-town rival MIT for a NEWMAC matchup on Wednesday, January 9th at 6:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
- Stay updated on the Emerson men's basketball team and follow the Lions on Twitter, Facebook at Emerson College Men's Basketball as well as on Instagram. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to catch the Lions in action!