Score: WPI 65, Emerson 63
Records: Emerson Lions (8-8, 3-2 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (12-4, 3-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
Date: Wednesday, January 16th, 2019
The Lead: Emerson Men's Basketball team was unable to overcome a 19 point first half deficit to the Engineers, falling two points short despite a game high 20 points from senior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray led all scorers with 20 points, adding nine rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
- Freshmen duo Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) and Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) both tallied double figures, with 14 and 12 points respectively. Houston added eight rebounds.
- Kahleb Downing led all scorers for WPI with 15 points off of the bench.
- Logan O'Donnell added 14 while Colin McNamara and Dakota Wheeler each had 11 points for the engineers.
- Reid Walker was the games high rebounder with 10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams traded baskets to open the game, with WPI grabbing a small one point lead 12-11 five minutes into the contest.
- WPI then went on a 23-5 run to open up a 19 point lead on the Lions with just over five minutes remaining in the first half.
- Emerson responded with a 17-8 run of their own to close out the first half, cutting WPI's lead visually in half at 43-33. The run was headlined by a conventional three point play by Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) .
- The Lions continued their scoring to start the second half, grabbing the lead back at 48-47 with 13:41 remaining on a Houston layup.
- The teams traded baskets throughout the rest of the game, with no team opening up more than a four point lead.
- WPI lead 65-62 with just over four minutes remaining. Both teams went cold, with Houston hitting one of two free throws with just under thirty seconds remaining as the final point scored.
- Emerson fell to the WPI engineers 65-63 in regulation, bringing both teams' conference records to 3-2.
- Emerson continues road conference play at Wheaton on Saturday, January 19th with an early 11:00 a.m. tip-off.
- WPI will travel to take on Worcester counterpart Clark in a NEWMAC matchup on Saturday as well, with the game starting at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS