Score: Emerson 80, Wheaton (Mass.) 68
Records: Emerson Lions (9-8, 4-2 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) (10-6, 1-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
Date: Saturday, January 19th, 2019
The Lead: After losing two in a row, the Emerson Men's Basketball team traveled to Norton, Mass. to take on the Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons, and came away victorious with an 80-68 win, led by Junior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) who had a game high 25 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- O'Connor led all scorers in the game with 25 points, adding four rebounds, two steals, one block, and one assist.
- Geoffrey Gray notched a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
- Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) added 18 points for the Lions.
- Wheaton had four players in double figures, with Riley Tetreault and Matt Allegrezza lead the pack with 17 points each.
- The Lions shot 44.1% from the field compared to Wheaton (Mass.) who shot 36.1%. Both teams grabbed 40 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams kept the opening of the game close, with the biggest lead being five points in the first ten minutes. After ten, Emerson built a four point lead on a pair of Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) free throws.
- The Lions continued to build on their lead, extending it to eight on a O'Connor jumper with 7:35 remaining in the first half.
- Wheaton (Mass.) roared back, cutting the lead to one before Emerson closed out the half on a 9-4 run to open up a six point lead at the break, 40-36.
- Wheaton (Mass.) opened the half on a 8-2 run to knot the game at 44.
- The teams continued to battle, with Wheaton (Mass.) eventually grabbing the lead at 59-57 with 8:33 remaining in regulation. They held the lead at 64-62 with 4:41 remaining.
- Emerson hit back to back three-pointers by O'Connor and Waterhouse, grabbing the lead at 68-64 with just under three minutes remaining.
- Gray added a layup and O'Connor hit another three pointer to seal the deal for the Lions, opening up an eight point lead with just over a minute remaining.
- Emerson finished the game on a 16-4 run in the last three minutes, winning with a final score of 80-68.
- Emerson welcomes the Babson Beavers to the Brown & Plofker Gym on Wednesday in the second half of a NEWMAC doubleheader on Wednesday, starting at 7:30pm.
- Wheaton (Mass.) travels to take on the Coast Guard Bears on Wednesday with the game starting at 7:30pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS