Score: Emerson 86, Babson 83
Records: Emerson Lions (10-8, 5-2 NEWMAC) ; Babson (10-6, 1-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, January 23rd 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Men's Basketball Team held off the Babson Beavers late surge behind Geoffrey Gray's (Newton, Mass.) 26 points to bring the Lions' NEWMAC record to 5-2.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was paced by Gray who added seven rebounds, one assist, and one steal to his 26 points.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I) recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
- Freshman center Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) and Freshman guard Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H) combined for 38 of Emerson's points.
- Houston was perfect from the field and charity stripe, going 6-6 from both for a total of 18 points.
- Waterhouse had 20 points, two steals, one block, one assist, and one rebound.
- Babson's Frank Oftring was one of four players in double figures for the Beavers, scoring a career-high 24 points on 9-13 shooting from the field.
- Andrew Jaworski added 16 points for the Beavers while Brandon Johnson had 13. Jack Coolahan added 10 points off the bench.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was a back and forth affair, with no team opening up more than a four point lead in the first ten minutes, with Babson owning it at 13-9.
- With 12 minutes remaining in the first half, Emerson found themselves down 20-18 after a Max Gussen three pointer for the Beavers. The Lions broke off a 12-3 run to take a 30-22 lead. Zach Waterhouse hit four free throws and one three pointer on the run.
- Babson broke off a 10-2 run of their own to knot the game at 32, eventually taking the lead at 40-38 on a driving layup at the buzzer by Shyheim Ulrickson to end the half.
- The game stayed close in the second half, with Emerson building a five point lead at 56-51 on a pair of Houston free throws.
- Babson came right back and grabbed the lead back with an 8-0 run of their own at 59-56.
- A Coolahan jumper brought the score to 69-69 with just under six minutes remaining in game.
- Emerson broke off an 11-0 run, capped off by an O'Connor three pointer from the top of the key to give Emerson the lead at 80-69.
- Emerson held a nine point lead at 86-77 with fifty second remaining. Babson closed strong but was unable to overcome the deficit, with the game ending with a final score of 86-83.
- Emerson travels across the Charles River on Saturday, January 26th to take on the No. 9 ranked MIT Engineers starting at 2:00pm.
- Babson returns home to welcome the Coast Guard Bears on Saturday, January 26th starting at 2:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS