Score: No. 9 MIT 96, Emerson 7
Records: Emerson Lions (10-9, 5-3 NEWMAC); No. 9 MIT Engineers (17-2, 7-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) registered a game-high 22 points for the Emerson men's basketball team as the Lions fell to the No. 9 MIT, 96-73, in a NEWMAC rematch over at Rockwell Cage on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Waterhouse led Emerson with 22 points alongside seven boards, while senior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) finished with 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting.
- Junior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) posted 14 points followed by freshman Nate Martin (Great Falls, Va.) chipping in 12 points off the bench.
- Hamilton Forsythe matched Waterhouse's 22 points on 13-of-15 shooting at the charity stripe as Tim Roberts finished with a double-double of 17 points and 13 rebounds and an additional three assists, one block and two steals.
- Bradley Jomard contributed 17 points and eight assists and was 6-of-9 from the field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson trailed in the opening 6:21 of the first half by a score of 14-4 following a layup by Roberts before the Lions narrowed MIT's advantage on a layup by Gray. (21-16)
- The Engineers sparked on a 23-9 run, capped by a buzzer beating three from Alex Cho that put the Lions in a 44-25 hole to wrap the first 20 minutes of play.
- To start off the second, Emerson found themselves down 20 for the first time before once again narrowing the lead to make it 66-50 midway through the half after a jumper from Waterhouse.
- The hosts answered quick to bump its advantage over Emerson to 28 thanks to a triple by Cameron Korb with 5:15 on the clock.
- Emerson sent MIT to the free throw strip six times over the final minutes as the Lions fell by the score of 96-73.
- Emerson returns to Brown & Plofker on Wednesday, January 30 hosting Wheaton (Mass.) at 7:30 p.m.
- MIT will also be in NEWMAC action on Wednesday night over at Babson at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS