Score: Rowan Profs 96, Emerson Lions 79
Date: Friday, March 1st, 2019
Location: Greenboro, New Jersey (Esbjornson Gymnasium)
The Lead: A 22 point performance from Senior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) and 21 point performance from Freshman Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H>) was not enough as the Lions fell to the hosts Rowan University in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray converted on 8-17 shots from the field and 4-7 from three point range. Waterhouse connected on 7-13 and 4-8 from three point range.
- Freshman Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) scored 12 points, hitting 4-6 from the field and all four of his free throw attempts.
- Emerson out rebounded the Profs 49-37, grabbing 37 defensive and 12 offensive rebounds,.
- Houston added three blocks on the defensive end.
- Rowan was led by Nick Depersia, who scored 24 points on 10-16 shooting from the field. DaRon Curry scored 25, connecting on 10-19 from the field. Both Curry and DePersia converted three triples for the Profs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rowan took an early five point lead just thirty seconds into the game. Deperisa converted a three pointer off of the tip off to open the scoring.
- Emerson and Rowan started to trade baskets, with the Lions knotting the score at 10 on a Waterhouse layup, just over five minutes into the game.
- Emerson took a one point lead three minutes later on a Gray layup plus the foul, with Gray converting the free throw, bringing the score to 17-16.
- Rowan took the lead back and then some, opening up a six point lead with 7:22 remaining on a Curry lay up.
- The Lions came right back, knotting the score again, this time on a layup by Waterhouse with just over five minutes remaining in the first frame.
- Both teams traded baskets to close out the first frame, with Rowan taking a one point lead into the break, 34-33.
- The second half opened up with Emerson and Rowan trading baskets once again. Rowan took a two point lead with 15:42 remaining in the game.
- From here, Rowan went on a 20-4 run, opening up an 18 point lead on the visiting Lions.
- The Lions continued to battle, cutting the lead to 14, but were unable to overcome the deficit.
- Emerson fell to the Profs 96-79, ending their season after their first NEWMAC Championship in program history.
- Rowan will play Nichols in the second round on Saturday, with a game starting at 7:00pm.
Watch Coach Curley and Geoff Gray's postgame press conference here.