Score: Babson 15, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (4-7, 0-5 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (7-7, 3-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: April 26, 2017
The Lead: On Wednesday night, the Emerson men's lacrosse team were clipped in its home finale, 15-1, by the visiting Babson Beavers in NEWMAC action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Samuel Mishkind put in Babson's first pair of goals past sophomore goalkeeper Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) to pull the Beavers ahead, 2-0, with 13:20 left to play in the opening quarter.
- After Babson grabbed the 2-0 lead over Emerson, the Beavers continued to build onto their lead at 8:19 on a goal from Brendan Duffy to put the score at 3-0.
- Emerson found themselves in a six-goal deficit with 7:36 remaining in the first after Babson tallied three more goals from Austin Fabel, Ryan Godfrey and Thomas Jung to enter the second quarter with the 6-0 lead.
- Just under three minutes into the second frame, Niall Dillion poured in Babson's seventh goal at the 12:08 mark before Mishkind put in his third goal of the game to up the Beavers lead to 8-0.
- Axel Brown registered the final goal of the half at 7:37 to give Babson the 9-0 advantage entering the half.
- Babson pushed its lead into double digits a little over a minute into the start of the third on a net by Matthew MacCune at 13:46 followed by the Beavers 11th goal on Brown's second net at 9:41.
- Emerson stopped Babson's scoring attack as sophomore Jared Brush (Grosse Pointe Park, Mi.) slipped the Lions first goal past Beavers keeper Andrew Tymkiv at 7:54 and brought the score to 11-1.
- Kennedy came up with a pair of saves after Emerson got onto the board to hold the score at 11-1 going into the fourth quarter.
- The Beavers started its fourth quarter scoring just 1:11 in on a net by John Gilbert to open its lead to 12-1 that was followed with Jung's second goal nearly three minutes later to pull the Beavers ahead, 13-1 at the 11:31 mark.
- With 5:56 remaining in regulation, Emerson's deficit increased to 13 after Brennan Walker put in Babson's 14th goal.
- Brett Bottomley closed out the game's scoring with 12 ticks left on the clock with the 15th Beavers goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brush tallied the lone Emerson goal and sophomore Fernando Gutierrez (Lancaster, Penn.) recorded an assist.
- Sophomore Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) scooped up a team-best nine ground balls and had four caused turnovers.
- Gutierrez was 5-of-15 in the X and Tate went 0-for-5.
- Kennedy was between the pipes for Emerson for the full 60 and matched his season-high of 14 saves.
- Mishkind found the back of the net three times for Babson, while Owen Allen recorded a trio of assists, Jack O'Donoghue scooped up seven ground balls and Joseph Riccardi caused three turnovers.
- Gilbert went 6-for-11 in the X, Connor Maloney was 3-for-3 and Tyler Patterson went 6-for-6.
- Christopher Aranalde manned the Babson net for the first 30 minutes and made two saves as Tymkiv and Jerry Baerwitz finished the final 30 and allowed one goal.
- Babson held the advantage in ground balls (47-13), as well as in the X (15-5) and shots (44-7).
- The Lions finished 0-for-2 in man-up opportunities and Beavers were unable to convert on their four man-up chances.
- Emerson heads to Clark on Saturday, April 29 for an afternoon NEWMAC game at 1:00 p.m.
- Babson is also in NEWMAC action Saturday at 1:00 p.m. at Coast Guard.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS