Score: Wentworth 12, Emerson 3
Records: Emerson Lions (3-1) ; Wentworth Leopards (4-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, March 17, 2018
The Lead: Junior Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) tallied a pair of goals for the Lions as the Emerson men's lacrosse team saw its win streak snapped at three in a 12-3 setback at the hands of the Wentworth Leopards on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Radenberg racked up two of Emerson's three goals on six shots and was also credited with an assist.
- Junior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) netted the third Lions goal along with one ground ball, while sophomore Austin DiPietro picked up a game high 10 ground balls.
- Junior Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) manned the net for Emerson for all 60 minutes and allowed 12 goals on 36 shots, coming away with 14 saves.
- Dolan McCarthy paced all scorers with five Wentworth goals, while Kyle Doner and Ben Coakley each tallied a pair of goals with Coakley also registering two assists and Doner with one.
- Also finding the back of the net for Wentworth was Kevin Butler, Jason Buck and Jacob Eldred.
- On the defensive end, Brad Krueger scooped up four ground balls and both Jake Ollila and Kilian Ryan each caused two turnovers.
- In the net for Wentworth to start the first half was Adam Dufault, who allowed two goals on four shots and came away with a pair of saves, while Scott Boucher finished the game allowing a goal and five saves.
- Wentworth outshot Emerson 36-18 and also held the advantage within the X (13-6), while the Lions picked up 29 ground balls to the Leopard's 17.
- The Lions went 11-for-15 in clears and were 0-for-5 while on the man-up advantage and the Leopards were 17-of-19 in successful clears while going 0-for-1 with the man advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McCarthy found the back of the net 47 seconds into the opening frame to give Wentworth the 1-0 lead (14:13) until Radenberg fired in Emerson's first goal at 11:52 to even the score.
- The rest of the quarter's scoring was done by Wentworth starting with a go-ahead net from Coakley at 10:03 to put the Leopards ahead 2-1.
- Nets from McCarthy, Doner and Butler extended the visitors lead up to four as Emerson were in a 5-1 hole at the 3:58 mark of the stanza.
- Radenberg's unassisted marker broke up Wentworth's string of goals at 10:44 of the second quarter to put Emerson within a trio at 5-2.
- After the Lions inched back within three with 10 minutes to play in the opening half, two nets from McCarthy highlighted a spurt of four goals to give the Leopards a 9-2 lead going into halftime.
- Emerson was held scoreless throughout the third frame as Wentworth propelled themselves to a nine-goal cushion backed by goals from McCarthy and Coakley with the score at 11-2.
- Set up by Radenberg, Tate registered Emerson's third goal three minutes into the fourth quarter at 10:28, but it was Buck's net at 10:28 that sealed the Lions' 12-3 setback.
Emerson hits the road on Monday, March 19 at Nichols for a 7:00 p.m. non conference contest.
Wentworth will also be in action as well on Monday night and will host Anna Maria at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS