Score: Emerson 10, SUNY Purchase 7
Records: Emerson Lions (5-4) ; SUNY Purchase Panthers (2-6)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2018
The Lead: Powered by three nets from the stick of freshman Joe Meyers (Carmel, N.Y.), the Emerson men's lacrosse team made their way back into the win column with a 10-7 triumph over the visiting SUNY Purchase Panthers on Wednesday night in non conference play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with Meyers' three goals, juniors Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) and Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and senior Austin Franklin also netted two goals apiece.
- Radenberg also was credited with three assists to go with his two goals, while sophomore Austin DiPietro paced the Lions with 10 ground balls and won 17-of-21 in the X and freshman Jiwon Kim (McLean, Vir.) caused the Panthers to turn the ball over three times.
- In net for Emerson was junior net minder Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.), who picked up the win with 13 saves on 20 shots and allowed seven goals.
- James Felix tallied four goals with an additional three coming from Dylan Gethicker, who also picked up one assist along with Ben Erkan.
- Felix scooped up five ground balls for the Panthers with five different Panthers causing one turnover each.
- Matt Sayegh allowed Emerson to tally 10 goals while also recording 13 saves through the full 60 in between the pipes for Purchase.
- Emerson heavily outshot Purchase 40-24 and also held the advantage in ground balls (28-18) and in the X (17-4).
- The Lions finished the night going 17-of-18 in clears and 1-for-1 when on the man-up advantage, while the Panthers were 21-of-23 in clears and were blanked in the one man-up advantage they had.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson kept the ball on its side of the field for the first four minutes of the first, taking seven shots and three on goal, before Brush's marker made its way over the shoulder of Sayegh at 10:32 to give the Lions the 1-0 lead.
- Purchase answered with a pair of goals from Gethicker and Felix over a two minute span to push the Panthers on top at 2-1 with 6:23 to go in the quarter.
- With two seconds to spare in the frame, Meyers collected the ball underneath Panthers defenders and scooped the 2-2 equalizer into the net.
- The scoring for the Lions carried into the second stanza starting at 10:09 on a tally from Radenberg with both Meyers and Franklin firing in two more as the Lions lead bumped to three at 5-2.
- Felix's second goal pushed the Panthers within a pair at 5-3 with just over three minutes to play in the half before Radenberg connected for his second net off a feed from junior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) to give the Lions the three goal lead at halftime (6-3).
- Despite Emerson outshooting Purchase 10-4 within the third, each team was able to find the back of the net only once as the Lions' lone goal from freshman Stevie Powers (Arlington, Mass.) put the hosts on top 7-3 before Gethicker's second pushed the visitors within three (7-4).
- Emerson and Purchase traded off goals throughout the fourth with the Panthers keeping a close pace with the Lions, but it was Meyers' third net that capped off the win despite Felix netting one with three seconds on the clock.
- Emerson jumps back into NEWMAC play on Saturday, April 7 to close out its three game home stand against Clark at 1:00 p.m .
- Purchase also reenters conference play back in New York and will take on the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS