Score: Clark 16, Emerson 5
Records: Emerson Lions (5-5, 0-2 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (6-4, 1-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, April 7, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson men's lacrosse team faltered in a 16-5 NEWMAC setback at the hands of the visiting Clark Cougars on Saturday afternoon that saw both freshman Joe Meyers (Carmel, N.Y.) and junior Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) collected a pair of goals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Meyers and Radenberg paced Emerson with two goals each with freshman Stevie Powers (Arlington, Mass.) also contributing one goal and Meyers also adding one assist.
- Sophomore Austin DiPietro picked up four ground balls and both junior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Jiwon Kim (McLean, Vir.) caused two turnovers.
- Junior net minder Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) came away with 11 saves on 27 attempts through 60 minutes and also had one ground ball pickup.
- Chris Rasco and Owen Lamerson led Clark with three goals and one assist each while Nathan Masalesk earned the victory in net for the Cougars.
- Emerson was outshot by Clark (46-29) as the Cougars also held the advantage in the X (14-11).
- The Lions won 11 face-offs, collected 20 ground balls and made 12 of 15 clear attempts.
- Clark picked up 25 ground balls and were successful in 18 of 21 clear attempts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark commanded the opening eight minutes of the first frame and found the back of the net five times, including two nets from Rasco, to take the 5-0 lead.
- Emerson broke up the visitors scoring spurt when Radenberg fired the first Lions goal behind the back of Maselek and was followed up by a goal from Meyers with the hosts trailing by three at 5-2.
- The Lions defense held the Cougars scoreless through the remaining three minutes of the first as the score stood at 5-2 entering the second as the visitors outshot the Lions, 14-7.
- Starting with a goal from Lamerson at 12:05 of the second stanza, Clark spread four more goals from four different players throughout the stanza to go into the half with a 10-2 lead.
- At the end of the first half, Clark outshot Emerson 24-12.
- Powers opened scoring for Emerson within the third quarter at 13:04 on a feed from Meyers (10-3) before Clark used three goals from Bobby Philbin, Lamerson and Rasco to push the score into double figures (13-3).
- Two more Clark goals made their way past Kennedy within the beginning of the fourth from Mark DellaTorre and Jacob Brandes, but Meyers snapped the Cougars' scoring streak with an unassisted net at the 5:26 mark.
- Ryan Sheedy tallied the 16th and final goal for Clark on a feed from Lamerson with 3:34 on the clock.
- The Lions were able to put in more goal on Radenberg's second with 22 ticks remaining as the score was set at 16-5.
- Emerson starts it two game road trip with a non conference meeting at the University of New England on Wednesday, April 11 at 7:00 p.m.
- Clark returns home next week to host Wheaton (Mass.) in the Renny Classic at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 14.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS