Men's Lacrosse vs. Nichols
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Boston, Mass. | Rotch Field
Men's Lacrosse at Johnson & Wales (RI)
Thursday, March 14, 2019
Providence, R.I. | Scotts Miracle Gro Athletic Complex
Men's Lacrosse at St. Joesph's (Me.)
Saturday, March 16, 2019
Standish, Me. | SJC Athletic Complex
BOSTON, Mass. - The Emerson men's lacrosse comes back to the east coast after a quick spring break trip to California with a packed week full of three games, starting with hosting Nichols in its home opener on Wednesday night at 6:00 p.m. Then on Thursday the Lions travel down to Johnson & Wales (RI) for a 7:00 p.m. meeting before trekking to St. Joesph's (Me.) on Saturday in a 12:00 p.m. meeting.
A WEEK ON THE WEST COAST
- After kicking off the 2019 back on February 28, Emerson took its season out to California for its annual spring break trip where they faced Whittier and Gwynedd Mercy.
- The Lions week began with a matchup with hosts Whittier and fell 17-6 before wrapping its trip against Gwynedd Mercy, whom the Lions were edged out by by the score of 8-6.
ON THE FIELD
- Through three games, Emerson has found the back of the net 16 times with seven assists and averages 5.33 goals per contest on 33.67 shots and a 15.8 shot percentage.
- Senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and freshman Skyler Celotto (Fairfield, Conn.) pace the Lions with four goals apiece while freshman Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) has dished out a pair of assists.
- Along with his four goals, Celotto also has scooped up a team-high 15 ground balls along with junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) followed by 10 ground balls from freshman Alex Hrisanthopoulos (Carlsbad, Calif.).
- DiPietro continues to man the X having won 26-of-44 within the face-off circle and freshman Lex Torrington (Culiver City, Calif.).
- In the net, freshman Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.) and sophomore Calloway Myers (Chico, Calif.) split time within the opening trio of games.
- Myers has three starts under his belt with a record of 0-3 through 90 minutes between the pipes having allowed 22 goals (14.67 GAA) with 25 saves (53.2% save percentage).
- McGrath has appeared in three games for a total of 86+ minutes and has surrendered 19 goals (13.13 GAA) and come away with 20 stops (51.3% save percentage).
SCOUTING THE BISON
- Nichols (1-1) enter Tuesday's contest having not played since February 27 in an 8-7 setback to Rivier after opening 2019 with a 13-9 win up at St. Joesph's (Me.).
- The Bison finished its 2018 season with an overall record of 13-9 and Commonwealth Coast Conference record of 3-5.
- Emerson and Nichols met back on March 19, 2018 out at Nichols where the Lions were topped, 14-4.
- Within two games, Nichols has racked up 20 goals with 14 assists while averaging 39.5 shots per game on a 25.3% shot percentage.
- Brendan Coates and Jeffrey Wenzel anchor Nichols with seven goals apiece while both Jack Campanale and Nate Mortimer each have dished out three assists.
- Hugh O'Donnell has scooped up a team-best 11 ground balls followed by Matt O'Connell causing seven turnovers and Will Cruger manning the face-offs winning 15-of-26.
- In net for the Bison is Brian McKinley (1-1), who has manned the net for 120 minutes with 17 goals allowed for a goals against average of 8.50 and made 16 stops for a .485 save percentage.
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS
- Johnson & Wales (0-4) look to avenge its 13-9 loss to Roger Williams this past weekend in the first meeting with Emerson since March 19, 2016.
- The reigning GNAC champion Wildcats finished 2018 at 9-12 and 5-4 in conference play that came to an end in the first round of the NCAA Tournament with a 22-15 loss to Merchant Maritime.
- Ben Farrell leads Johnson & Wales with a total of 10 points on seven goals and three assists and both Xavier Chiovera and Matt Gelb tallied three assists each.
- The Wildcat face-off specialist, Stephen Gregg, has come away with wins in 41-of-90 chances in the X along with picking up a Wildcats-best 21 ground balls.
- Bradley Morris holds an 0-4 record in goal for the Wildcats through 236+ minutes having allowed 50 goals within four starts to match 52 saves.
SCOUTING THE MONKS
- St. Joesph's (2-2) wrapped its Florida spring break trip on March 6 with a 12-10 victory over Wentworth and will face Maine Maritime on Wednesday before Saturday's contest.
- The Monks have netted 42 goals within four games with 28 assists and average 10.5 goals per game on 37.5 shots and a shot percentage of 28.0%.
- In 2018, the Monks saw its season wrap with an overall record above .500 at 10-9 to match a 5-4 record against GNAC opponents.
- Saturday's meeting between the Lions and Wildcats will be the first matchup since Match 30, 2014 where the Monks took the 14-5 win.
- Michael Finn powers St. Joe's with a total of eight goals while Shane Puleo has registered 14 points on three goals and a team-best 11 assists.
- On the defensive end for the Monks, Shane Fors has scooped 18 ground balls and taken wins in 37-of-82 chances in the face-off X and both Michael Emery and Cornelius Koch have each caused five turnovers.
- Splitting time in goal for the Monks are Logan Skinner (2-1) and Michael Janocha (0-1) as Skinner averages a 9.09 goals against average and .603 save percentage within 165+ minutes while Janocha has allowed 14 goals and made 11 saves through 75 minutes.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS