Score: Pine Manor 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (0-1) ; Pine Manor Gators (1-0)
Date: Friday, August 31, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
The Lead: In its season opener, the Emerson men's soccer team was on the wrong end of a 3-0 shutout at the hands of Pine Manor on Friday night in non conference men's soccer action at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman RJ Dziejma (Flanders, N.J.) registered two shots for the Lions, both on goal and was followed by junior Creighton Dorfman (Northbridge, Mass.), who also had a pair of shots with one on goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper David Kemp (London, England) manned the net for the full 90 minutes and stopped five shots while allowing three goals.
- Elmer Pineda put in two of Pine Manor's three nets on four shots on goal, while Andree Hernandez put in one goal.
- Pine Manor net minder Angel Pena stopped all six shots sent his way by Emerson through 90 minutes.
- The visitors outshot Emerson, 17-10, and also held the corner kick advantage (5-4).
- Emerson had 13 infractions called their way and Pine Manor was called for 11.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both defenses were busy within much of the opening half for neither Emerson or Pine Manor were able to put the ball into the net, but each had chances in the span of the 31st to 30th minute.
- Pineda was inches from netting the game's first marker on a perfectly placed cross on the ground, which found the foot of the runner who then one timed it into the corner only to see freshman Ryan Anderson (San Leandro, Calif.) block the shot.
- A minute later after Pine Manor missed its shot, freshman Jeff Pratt (Atkinson, N.H.) drove down the left wing only to find his shot go right into the hands of Pena.
- At the conclusion of the first half, Pine Manor outshot Emerson, 7-3, while the Lions had four corner kicks to the Gators three.
- 61st minute: goal by Pineda (assisted by Ochoa)
- Pineda's first goal of the game came in the 61st minute when he squared the ball in the top of the box and was able to control the ball enough to sneak the ball into the right corner past Kemp's dive.
- Pine Manor extended its lead to 2-0 in 86th minute on a rebounded ball from Kemp's hands that landed on the foot Pineda, who scooted the ball into the ball of the net.
- Three minutes later in the 89th minute, Hernandez headed in the third and final Pine Manor goal just over the reach of Kemp.
- Emerson quickly gets back into action tomorrow, September 1, as they make the trek over to Emmanuel (Mass.) for a 2:00 p.m. non conference matchup.
- Pine Manor takes to the field on Sunday, September 2 and will host Dean College at 2:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS