Score: Salem State 2, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (0-3) ; Salem State Vikings (4-0)
Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
The Lead: The Lions posted a goal deep into the second half from senior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France), but the comeback was cut short as the Emerson men's soccer team slipped 2-1 to Salem State on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Bou Aziz recorded his first goal of the second and had five total shots (two on goal).
- Emerson keeper sophomore David Kemp (London, England) took the loss and came away with three stops and allowed two goals.
- Salem State registered goals from Gabriel Meireles and Felipe Montiel with an assist credited to Lucas Amaral.
- Vikings net minder Christopher Jimenez earned the win with two saves while he allowed one goal through 90 minutes.
- Emerson narrowly outshot Salem State, 12-11, and also held the 7-4 corner kick edge.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salem State quickly made its way onto the board within the 18th minute of the opening frame after they capitalized on a foul as Meireles put a free kick past Kemp.
- In the 25th minute, Emerson nearly put the game in a 1-all lock as junior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) drove up the right side with a defender on his tail, but booted his shot just left of the post.
- With the first half in the books, Emerson outshot Salem State, 8-4.
- Salem State knocked in its second goal in the 67th minute off a corner kick that bounced around in front of the net until Montiel recovered the ball and fired it past Kemp to give the visitors the 2-0 edge.
- It was during the 82nd minute when Emerson began to forge a comeback with the help of Bou Aziz sneaking a deflection off a free kick into the goal just past the reach of Jimenez to put the Lions within one at 2-1.
- With 58 seconds on the clock, Bou Aziz took one final shot to knot up the score, but Jimenez went to his left to collect the potential equalizer.
- Emerson enters its second game of their three-game homestead with a non conference contest against UMass-Boston on Tuesday, September 11 at 6:00 p.m.
- Salem State is also in action on Tuesday, September 11 and head to Wentworth at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS