Score: Newbury 2, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (1-5) ; Newbury Nighthawks (3-2-1)
Date: September 17, 2018
Location: Medford, Mass. (Hormel Stadium)
The Lead: The Emerson men's soccer team suffered a 2-0 setback at the hands of the Newbury Nighthawks on Monday night in non conference men's soccer play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) paced Emerson with a total of five shots, including three on goal.
- Freshman keeper Robbie Shinder (Boca Raton, Fla.) took the loss as he allowed two goals on nine total shots and came away with seven stops.
- Julius Davis and Josue Lopez each tallied goals for Newbury with both assists being credited to Warran Execus.
- Jarrod Smith manned the net for the Nighthawks and stopped all six shots.
- Newbury outshot Emerson, 15-10, and also held the 3-2 corner kick edge.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- All of the game's scoring came in the opening half with Newbury putting the game's first goal on the board nearly two minutes in by Lopez.
- 10 minutes later, Davis belted in the game winning goal for the hosts to give them the 2-0 lead over Emerson.
- Emerson was heavily outshot within the first frame, 10-3.
- Within the second half Emerson held the 7-5 shot advantage over Newbury, but could not slip the ball past Smith.
- Emerson reenters its conference slate on Saturday, September 22 down at Coast Guard at 2:00 p.m.
- Newbury hits the road on Wednesday, September 19 over at Husson at 5:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS