Score: WPI 1, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-5, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (5-2-3, 1-0-2 NEWMAC)
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
The Lead: The Emerson men's soccer team slipped up in a tight 1-0 setback to WPI on Saturday afternoon after a goal by the Engineers in the 90th minute of regulation.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France) had three shots and one goal followed by two shots from junior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.).
- Sophomore keeper David Kemp (London, England) was tagged with the loss as he stopped nine shots and allowed one goal through 90 minutes.
- Mark Calnan tallied WPI's lone goal with the assist credited to Jackson Conroy.
- In net for WPI was Rufus Adams and came away with two saves.
- WPI outshot Emerson, 13-6, while the Lions had the 2-1 corner kick edge.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither Emerson nor WPI were successful in finding the back of the net as the score was in a scoreless lock at the conclusion of the first half.
- WPI nearly grabbed the 1-0 lead well past the midway point of the half when Liam Sutterland took a bounced ball from 25 yards out that Kemp caught just as the ball was dipping to secure the score.
- WPI outshot Emerson 6-1 in the opening frame.
- It was in the 72nd minute that Emerson had an opportunity to push themselves ahead as Faucette booted shot that soared just over the crossbar.
- Conroy bolted down the wing towards the Emerson goal, shrugged off a challenge and found Calnan with a square ball, who fired near post just past a diving Kemp.
- Emerson remains at home next Monday, October 1 to host Eastern Nazarene at 6:00 p.m.
- WPI heads to Wentworth on Tuesday, October 2 for a 7:00 p.m. meeting.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS